Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Winter wheat.. brassicas, clover??

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winter wheat.. brassicas, clover??

Alright, second try..I am thinking about what to grow for next season.What is the easiest late season food source to grow and maintain? By easiest I dont mean the amount of work, I mean easiest to plant withlimited equipment (roto-tiller, seed spreader).... Brassicas? Wheat? Clover? Suggestions?

Thanks for any advice
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winter wheat.. brassicas, clover??

For me - Rye has always been the easiest.

Plant in Sept. 1st in the North - and as long as the snow is less than 1 ft - the deer will use it well.
as long as you can bare the soil - you can get it to grow. Winter Wheat is similar but in my experience doesn't germinate as easily and the soil has to be a little better,

FH
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright I'm gonna look into that. Thank you...
Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 AM

I am thinking of growing rye grain on a plot that isn't exactly the ideal spot, low PH and some shade. The plot is awooded gasline right away Approx 20' wide and the spot I am planting will be about 125 yards long. I tried Green Patch Plus in there this year and the wheat and oats didn't do too bad (deer only let it get about 3-4" tall, but the brassicasdid not grow at all.I'm going to throw down a ton of lime this spring/early summer. I heard rye grain is very hardy and will grow almost anywhere. I'm hoping I can get some decent growth before leaf down. The problem with that plot is the oaks next to the plot drop leaves on the plot and if the growth isn't good, the leaves mat the plot down. Of course I am not going to cut the oaks, but if I can get some decent growth before leaf down I should be ok.

I heard a lot about Pennington's wintergrazer 70 rye. Where can you buy it at?