Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

RYE OR WINTER WHEAT

Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Spike

Default RYE OR WINTER WHEAT

planted a little over one acre of clover this year and plot is coming in niceley. would like to plant another plot of either rye or winter wheat in another field for the fall. question is which would be better to plant. do you plant the same way as youplant clover. do you just disk the area and plant or do you need any other specialized equipment. would they make good fall plots. approx. planting dates for upstate n.y. thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: RYE OR WINTER WHEAT

WW if the soil is good enough, WR if it is poor or the first time. Spray roundup at least two weeks before planting. Plant around Laborday, +/- a week. Disk, broadcast fertilizer and lime, disk, broadcast seed, lightly disk .... pray for rain.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I plant 1/3 each wheat/rye/oats...I disc the land...sow and fertilize and disc agian...covering the seed with about and inch of soil....I then go back over with a small hand spreader and sow white ladino clover...Seeding rate for the grain is 50-75 pounds per acre...clover 5-6 pounds per acre...fertilize at 100-150 pounds 19-19-19...and I usually lime with 400-500 pounds/acre in the spring, before planting....

The grain will draw deer within 4-5 weeks of planting and will draw turkeys the next spring (I usually plant Labor Day weekend here in NC)...the clover will be there next year...I fertilize with 4-20-24 in the spring...and overseed about 2-3 pounds of clover each fall...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

covering the seed with about and inch of soil....
Isn't that getting a little deep?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer seem to like winter wheat much better than rye if they have the option. Especially if it is a beardless variety of wheat. I'm not sure what works and what doesn't in New York, but if something like Russian beardless would work, deer and hogs will walk across three fields of bearded wheat to get to it.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 AM

like north texas said. the seed planting book says any seed is to be planted no deeper than 3 times is own diameter. so a inch is a little deep for wheat and rye. it will not all get that deep if you cut it under lite but there will be some that won't make it up, i just cut it up sow the seed and drag a old dog fence over it and like they said pray for rain. here in north ms. all winter grain cover attracts deer and other critters but the clover is a +. i planted rye and wheat a few years ago and the deer let the rye grow andate on the wheat, last winter i planted oats and wheat together and put a sack of winter peas in the very middle of my plot, they hit both wheat and the oats when it first came up then as the winter came on the oats died back and they worked the wheat. as spring got closer the oats started its new growth and the peas started growing and the deer walked away from the wheat for oats and peas. the deer stayed on the oats and peas till they got tuff. i only plant rye for cover on roads to help keep it from washing. this year i will mix the oats and wheat again and throw in abag of soy beans if it an't to late. i try to plant in late sept but dew to no rain i usually wait till i know it's going to rain over in oct.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:02 AM

Here. . .read this study on Wheat Planting Depth Study. . .may give some insight. Remember, farmers have been growing this stuff longer than hunters interested in food plots and QDM.

When in doubt, go to the source.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/ukrec/RR-00-01/00-01pg23.pdf

Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've farmed wheat all my life, and I've never known anyone to plant over an inch deep. I've experimented up to 1" deep, andI made about half theyield I should have.I found 4x the diameter of the seed to give me the best germination results. Shallower than that, and I couldn't get my seed bed firm enough. Deeper than that, and it began delaying emergence. My soil is very low in organic matter and it will crust over quickly after a rainfall event.

It is also not uncommon for my soil moisture to be too low for germination even down as far as 5". In July and August, it doesn't rain much. In September, it can rain a lot (3-4"). So I dry sow in late August and early September and try to beat the September rains. Once the September rains start, the fields are usually too wet to sow until the rains are finished. And when they are gone, the next rain may not come until February.

Of course, everyone in these parts is also planting the semi-dwarf varieties of HRW wheat. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:27 PM

North Texan,

The only reason I threw up the post is that I farm myself as well. (Thoughweusually plant corn and soybeans, we do from time to time plant 100 or so acres of wheat here close to central IL).We (as in farmers)should be the first to know that differences in soil typesshould affect your planting depth. Though I am just starting out farming,planting depth can be one of the areas new farmers (or food plotters)can really loseon population numbers.

I would saycloser to aninch may be the best all around planting depth, when dealing with hunters who have interest in food plots, rather than producing a cash crop, especially in a variety of environments and soil types. This will ensure a good strong stand and limit the problems you had previously mentioned. (With too shallow and too deep of planting depths).

Not trying to start a war here. . .just sharing my opinion.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texan...we plant our wheat at about a inch deep...when we broadcast and disc over...Now I am in NC and our soils are sandy/loamy in the eastern part of NC...Sounds like you have soil that crusts over...we don't have that problem...Anyway, it works here...