Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Foliar Fertilizer

Old 03-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Spike

Default Foliar Fertilizer

Anyone here have experience with natural liquid fertilizer? What are the advantages and disadvantages of natural liquid vs. regular chemical fertilizer. Do you think the salt in the chemical fert. is a big issue? I am considering Ag-lime on my alfalfa/clover plots for long term benefit and liquid fert. mixed with liquid lime for a quick boost of PH. How much more often will I have to use liquid fert. vs chemical salt based fetilizer. Its my understanding that liquid needs to be used more often. Using the liquid will require a purchase of a larger tank sprayer and I want to be sure of this decision before spending the money. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Foliar Fertilizer

Economically; foliar sprays are very expensive compared to soil fertilization. But; your not in it to make money. You also have to apply several more sprays to give the same fertilization value as soil fertilizer. They have to be very dilute or they' ll burn the foliage. Foliar sprays are a great way to add micronutrients to growing plants and get a quick effect (Example: Boron). I know people that swear by organic sprays like kelp spray. I' ve found that you can get very good results if you combine soil fertilization with green manuring, no till, and mulching. Organic fertilizers (manure etc.) are excellent if you can get them and if you can afford them.

Dan O.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Spike

Thanks for the response Dan O. Im not sure if the extra time and money are really justified. Is the salt in the fertilizer really that bad for the ground driving away earthworms etc.?
Old 03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pilot; don' t give up on natural sprays because I rarely use them. Try a kelp spray and see if it works for you.

As to the salts, yes and no. If you fertilize heavily, like in a corn field, take off all the crop as sillage and start with clay soil, you' re on the road to having a nice field of concrete. If you fertilize light to moderate, try to pick fertilizers that leave no chlorides or sulphates like ammonium nitrate, potassium nitrate etc., bushhog the crop and let the tops fertilize the soil, use zero tillage and mulch around the trees, you' ' ll incorporate the fertilizer into the soil organic matter with minimal negative effects and actually improve the soil microbes etc.

Dan O.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Spike

Use Zero tillage? You mean to drill the crop in every year? Tillage seems like it would only help the situation. Bushhogging makes good sense with the corn stalks.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pilot; I' m used to looking after vineyards and orchards, so no till is an easier approach. I' ve heard of the same with forage crops and minimal tillage with corn. The more you till you create hardpan with plows, compact the soil and expose the soil organic matter for quicker decomposition (ie. you free up and use nutrients quicker). You want to build organic matter to improve soil texture and protect the microflora.

Part of the Kyoto agreement and one of the actions that the U.S. has agreed to (not as part of the Kyoto agreement but on their own) is to expand the use of minimal tillage agriculture to sequester carbon dioxide in the soil as organic matter.

Dan O.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:58 AM
Spike

Thanks for the insight Dan O. much appreciated.