Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

WHAT FERTILIZER TO USE

Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default WHAT FERTILIZER TO USE

I have a property that I have permission to hunt that has numerous apple treesand dozens ofred oaks. What fretilizer should I use for these trees to keep them healthy, or should I not do anything at all? The mast acorn crop this year was awsome. Does this go on a cycle or is this a yearly thing with red oaks?

Thanks,
Konk
Old 11-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WHAT FERTILIZER TO USE

I use 12-12-12 or 10-10-10 sprinkled or scratched into the gound following the drip of the crown of the tree......seems to help a little here in ohio
Old 11-15-2005, 03:29 PM

For trees you should use a fertilizer that has a higher phosphorous number. Phosphorous is the nutrient that trees use to produce flowers and fruit. Use a 10-20-10 and you should get good results. A good time to fertilize is in Feb. or March. Also, you could prune the apple trees to help them yield more and bigger fruit.

As for the red oaks they do come in cycles. The red oak doesn't bearnuts every year. The flowers grow and get fertilized the first year and the nuts develop the next year. The trees that produced this year won't next year, but those trees that didn't bear this year may do so next year.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Criggster is right if you don't mind spending a little more and it isn't the fall when I'd use more phosphorous & potash. Otherwise the cheapest fertilizer per pound of nutrient that I've got available to me is 15-15-15.

Dan O.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

Konk