Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

fertilizer

Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default fertilizer

I planted beans & milo in my plots this year. The ph was good-approximately 6.5. I would like to add fertilizer at this time. The plants are just coming up. The beans were broadcast so they are random plants. The milo is in rows so I can drive between them. Will it hurt the beans to drive over them? What would be a could fertilizer since I have no soils test & how much should I apply? I was thinking of using 13-13-13 @ 50#/acre on the beans & maybe double that on the milo.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fertilizer

Yes, it will hurt the beans. In my opinion, it's too late now to worry about the fertilizer. Between running over the plants, andthe chance of burning the young plants, you might as well just wait untill next year. In the mean time you can get a soil test done and see what you actually need. I doubt 50 lbs per acre would be worth your time and effort for the results (or lack of)you'd see. Fertilizer is often measured in tons per acre.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: fertilizer

You won't kill many of the young plants, and I think the benefits outweigh the losses. I would put out 250 pounds or so per acre just before a rain. You will be able to get the fertilizer cheaper at a Wal Mart (about $430 per ton) or similar store rather than a feed and seed about $540 per ton). Those prices were what I got a few weeks ago.