Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Vegetation killer?

Old 03-27-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Vegetation killer?

I am looking for a cheep vegetation killer. I have about 6 acres of over grown field that i just brush hogged last fall. Now i need to get ride of the new growth. I would like to plant buckwheat or wheat in the same field later this summer or fall. Is there any vetetation killer that i could obtain to do the job. Would the local fruit growers co- op sell me the more potent stuff??? I do understand i could use some round up, but is it quit exspensive. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

eddie
Old 03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Vegetation killer?

There are some aftermarket vegitation killers with the same active ingrediant as Roundup. These come in various names depending on the store. If you read the lable and calculate actual coverage/gallons mixed, you can get it for half the price of Round up. Also check Farm Ag centers, but be sure to calculate coverage and mix when comparing.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

There is no cheap vegetation killer... The dry bottles of Round-Up are the best deal.... You need to mow and rake if possible then spray a few days later. The mowing will stimulat growth and suck the Round-Up into the root system. You may need to hit the area a few times in order to get most of the weeds and grasses.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roundup has a few other ingredients which increase it' s effectiveness. Be sure that any generic brand has these in the correct proportions. Farm supply stores such as Co-op should offer you the best deal. Bulk is the cheapest way to go.

Dan O.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:04 PM

I called the local co-op and they have a product called Glystar. It is supposed to be generic round-up. A 2.5 gallon is $80 and will cover up 10 acres (depening on diluted ratio). Has anyone used it before?
Old 03-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like it contains glysophate which is what Roundup is. It will not kill mares tail, sounds like you need to plow and work this plot , then seed it, I mean moldboard plow it....
Old 03-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check to see that it has a surfactant and I believe ammonium sulphate in the mix. Also; check that the concentration of active ingredients is equal to Roundup.

Dan O.