Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does anyone use UV Killer?

Old 08-30-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Does anyone use UV Killer?

Does anyone use UV Killer on their hunting clothes? Does it seem to make a difference? Thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Does anyone use UV Killer?

Well....I may as well be the one to get the controversy started. The last I read/heard was that UV plays no appreciable part in the deers vision. I personally don' t use any UV treatment.[]
Old 08-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t buy into this UV stuff at all! I just wash my hunting clothes in baking soda and have never had any problems!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:54 PM

i used some cheap stuff from walmart and got my deer at 10 yds...i don' t know if that counts
Old 08-31-2003, 07:00 PM

I use it but not sure if it work' s , You would have to ask the deer that.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

From the get-go, I always figured that UV Killer was a slick way to separating hunters from their money. I use baking soda too, to wash my hunting clothes and have never had any problems.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wash my clothes in baking soda and air dry, never had a problem. I have read many articles on UV and while I believe some merits are true with deer vision and spectrums, I don' t believe in buying the UV killer/wash. I think that UV comes in the brighteners in detergent and fabric softners our wives like to use to make our clothes smell fresh as daisy' s. As such I always make sure to fill my washing machine up empty, run a load with extra rinse & remove the fabric softner spinner. Then wash my cloths in baking soda, cold water, extra rinse and air dry. I refrain from putting any gear in the dryer as this just creates more scents and other potential problems. Once my gear is dry and clean I seal it until I am in the field. Some say it is over kill but it seems to have worked well for me and less costly than all the gadgets and washes on the market today.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy the wal-mart soap too.If it has uv killer in it so be it.I buy it for it' s " no scent" quality.Also use baking soda at my hunting camp seems to work just fine to.