Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Vegetation Killer

Old 11-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Vegetation Killer

I stumbled across an area of our property the other day I never paid much attention to. It is difficult to access but looks like it can be turned into a honey hole. It is an area about 100 x 75 that is surrounded by high pines and the tree canopy opens over the whole area. I know the pines will cause a need for large lime quantities whixch can be carried in. However, I was looking for some type of vegetation killer. The area has some small low lying grass and brushy type forage. Getting a bladed weed cutter may be an option to trim it down to ground level but I was wondering if any of you know of a liquid or powder vegetation killer I could apply over the next few weeks and still have it plantable for clover say in late June. [/align]
Old 11-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Vegetation Killer

If you only have low lying brush and grasses it can be killed with a shot of Crossbow or maybe glyphosate (generic Roundup). But, you need to wait until spring when the vegetation starts to get leaves before spraying. If you spray in the winter you will be trying to kill dormant and dead vegetation. Wait until the first of May to spray if planning to plant a June food plot. Also, if you plan to disturb the ground you should spray before disturbing the ground and a couple weeks afterwords to get the newly sprouted seedlings. Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

It may be necessary to get someone that is trained to go and see what kind of vegetation you are trying to kill. Chopper and Arsenal are two of the better killers. Waxy leafed will require a surfurant and specific type of spray. Lot of the needed sprays may not be available to you depending on state laws.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

There is a homemade concoction that works really well. It's a combination of vinegar, salt, and dish soap. I can dig up the recipe if you need it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:35 AM

BigRack23 - I am interested in theconcoction that you mention and would appreciate it if you could provide the mixture make up. Thanks.
Charlie
Old 11-30-2005, 12:49 PM

BigRack- I would be interested if you could post it that would be great.Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM

OK, here is the formula for the homemade herbicide. I tested it on a few grasses and weeds and it worked, but I doubt that it will work on the brush and saplings. Combine the ingredients and shake or stir.

1 gallon white vinegar
1 cup of salt
1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent