Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Need help for next years plot - No clover >

Need help for next years plot - No clover

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need help for next years plot - No clover

Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help for next years plot - No clover

Guys, I need some help on what to plant next year. I have a clover plot, but for the past 3 years or so, the deer have NOT touched it. We just arent seeing the deer at all this year and I think its time to put in a GOOD food plot where the deer will actually stick around. Its so frustrating right now its unbelievable. Like I said, i dont want to plant a clover plot because it just isnt working. I live in Michigan if that helps. I was kinda thinking of trying BioMaxx because at least thatll stay up for the whole year. Please help, I dont want another season like this miserable one. Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help for next years plot - No clover

That is surprising about the clover. Clover is usually a sure thing for deer. Here are some things I have planted over the years that have worked well: Turnips (my favorite), oats, winter wheat, andrape.If you can get all of those in a blend that is what has worked the best for us down here in Iowa.

Back to the clover. Have you put cameras on that plot to see if the deer are hitting it at night, maybe they just aren't there during shooting times. Just a thought.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 10-31-2008, 07:27 AM

Another thought: what kind of clover? We use a blend of clovers, each has a period that the deer like it. If you have lots of corn and beans in the area that will pull your deer.

Without more info I would say keep the clover, overseed/frostseed it in the spring with a good blend of clover,12lb per acre. Add a forage brassica plot such as maxximum by either tilling part of your clover plot in late summer or adding another plot all together, that will help transition the deer from "green to green" when the clover sours after frost
Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i planted a mixture of turnips and rape this year. i was told that after the first freeze the deer would destroy it. well, it is DESTROYED. worth a shot.

otherwise what i would do is try a whole bunch of things. put stakes in your food plot and separate each seed (make sure to document which seed went where) and see for yourself which one the deer like the best.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dtk913

That is surprising about the clover. Clover is usually a sure thing for deer. Here are some things I have planted over the years that have worked well: Turnips (my favorite), oats, winter wheat, andrape.If you can get all of those in a blend that is what has worked the best for us down here in Iowa.

Back to the clover. Have you put cameras on that plot to see if the deer are hitting it at night, maybe they just aren't there during shooting times. Just a thought.

Good Luck,
Dan

I've put the camera out and it still seems like the deer dont hit it. I usually take a good look at the plot and it doesnt even look like theyre eating it. I mean, can you actually "see" that deer are eating clover?

Are any of the plots you listed (turnips, oats, winter wheat, and rape) perennials or are they all annuals? From what I've been looking at it looks like Honey Hole is a pretty good one to try, maybe ill try that.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

Guys, I need some help on what to plant next year. I have a clover plot, but for the past 3 years or so, the deer have NOT touched it. We just arent seeing the deer at all this year and I think its time to put in a GOOD food plot where the deer will actually stick around. Its so frustrating right now its unbelievable. Like I said, i dont want to plant a clover plot because it just isnt working. I live in Michigan if that helps. I was kinda thinking of trying BioMaxx because at least thatll stay up for the whole year. Please help, I dont want another season like this miserable one. Thanks
How big is this plot? Do you mow the clover to keep it weed free?

I live in north western PA and for the money clover is hands down my best choice.

But if you have the room break it up. Put a plot of turnips in ,we plant purple tops and they grow big as soft balls.A plot of winter wheat is a great winter plot. Rape is another choice.

Have you limed the plot or had the PH tested?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya thats all done. The clover came up real well, it just looks so nice because nothing touches it.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Wheat or oats, not many oats down here so thats what I like. I guess soybeans or corn are out of the question up there? I love corn, cover and hunting season magnet.
Thats odd about the clover, I usually have deer grazing it bout all year. I think the trick is to get what the neigbors dont have. Maybe try some pear trees, and some oaks. Your looking 10-15 yrs down the road with trees. Are you sure you have plenty of deer? Might be missing enough cover for them? Turnips do make good food, but itsthe end or afterhunting season before they start good on them down here.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

So you have a recent soil test? If the pH is too low, the clover will be bitter and the deer won't eat it no matter how good it looks to you.