Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

bedding cover

Old 03-25-2003, 01:21 AM

Default bedding cover

Howdy, I' m new to this computer stuff so somebody tell me if I' m doing something wrong. I' m looking for suggestions on what kinds of grasses work well for whitetail security/bedding cover? I would apreciate any input.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bedding cover

Welcome to the board. I have noticed that deer usually bed in thickets unless it is a cold sunny day, then they will often lay on hillsides out of the wind soaking up the sun. You can cut off some of the less desireable hardwoods about waist high and make a good bedding area and you will also create some browse.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:40 PM

Thanks Timbercruiser, I will try that in my hardwood stand. However I have some property that I is mostly open with two strips of brush running north/south(one strip has pond in it) and five acres of tillable land between them. To the north is a 600 acre mature oak forest. To the south is 80 acres of corn. The five acres is were I would like to plant a green patch and surround it with some security cover. This is why I was thinking of tall grasses.I have hunted tall pheasant cover and jumped many deer. I am in west central WI and dont know what varietys work well here. Thanks again for your reply Timber cruiser.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buffalo grass seemes to work well. Especially if it' s adjacent to a forage field.

Dan O.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:55 PM

Get ahold of someone who is involved with Pheasants Forever in your area. They are the experts when it comes to tall native grasses and will know what will grow well in your soils.
I' m putting in 3 acres of Cave-in-Rock switchgrass this year, hopefully more next year. This stuff gets about 6-7 feet tall and THICK. Ive jumped deer in 5 acre patches that wouldnt leave, they just ran around and laid back down. Awsome bedding cover and much quicker than growing woody cover. Easy to remove later if needed.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-03-2003, 10:25 PM

Thanks Brion, Its good to here from someone in right here in Wisconsin. I havent had time to contact the DNR yet but I appreciate your advice. This is the first year I will be planting for wildlife and there are so many options as far as long and short term feed and cover. I don' t want to waste my money so I' m gathering as much info as I can from guys like yourself who have experience.
Thanks again!