Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bedding

Old 05-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default bedding

How many people have bedded their bolt action rifles? Does it make that big of a difference? Does it only work on wood stocks?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:47 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: bedding

Almost all are bedded in one form or another, synthetics and wood. Only one I didn't have to bed was my browning Medallion. I usually like pillar bedding for my synthetics with cheap stocks, but wood gets glass bedded. usually makes all the difference in the world if there is a bind with your barrel and stock.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glass bedding is for all stocks.....Some guns shoot fine without it.....and that's fine.....leave it alone.

But if you're getting 3"- 6" groups you probably want to glass bed and free float the barrel. It can truly mean a lot of difference.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, what they said.

Another bedding compound that is even better than accra glass is devcon. It's a steel based compound and is super strong but it ain't cheap. It's a lot thicker and a lot easer to work with as well. The glass tends to be very runny unless you add some fiberglass flocking to it.

Accra glass also makes accra gel which is also thicker and easier to work with but is not as strong as the glass.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Interesting, I was curious because I have never had a problem with rifle accuracy and have been reading about bedding. Just wanted to get a little more info on it. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:51 AM
bigcountry

Burnie, what kinda accuracy are you getting, (an honest average, not your smallest), and what are you expecting. I mean for my father in law, hitting a pie plate at 100 yards is good enough for him. For me, I like to keep all shots in a quarter at 100 yards. Its all what you want.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

And another important question: How often to you have to rezero? Does it, your zero that is, wonder or change often? If you have to rezero, more than once a year you may want to consider have your rifle bedded.

I have pillar bedded all mine, some have freefloated barrels, some have bedded barrels all the way out. It all depends on what that particular rifle likes.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

bigcountry
I hold 1.5 to 2.5 inch groups at 100, with my 30-06 and 270, 1.25 to 2 with my 243 and 30-30. Im working on a 300 wby, havent shot it enough to get a group average yet. These averages are give or take, depending on the day. I started hunting with bows, and have moved to rifles, so Im learning more and more every year. I have been hunting with rifles for about 15 years and have had no problem making shots up to 250 yards. Im always up for more improvement.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

And another important question: How often to you have to rezero? Does it, your zero that is, wonder or change often?
1shot-1kill
I have yet to rezero with my synthetic stocks. I have rezeroed my wood stocks once or twice.