Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help with food plots

Old 03-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help with food plots

I' m impressed with the knowledge on this site in this forum.So I have a few questions.I am planning a plot for this spring in northern PA.Do I need to spray round-up even though I plan to disc?And after discing,should I drag a chainlink fence to get the clover in the soil,or is it easier to just run over the seed with my atv to get it down in the dirt?
Any info would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:45 PM

Default RE: Help with food plots

I would not call myself an expert, but here is a few things to consider. If the plot is in grass now, discing will not kill it. In fact, I had not had good luck with plowing a grass field and putting a legume in it without grass coming back. Spray with roundup after grass greens up a bit should help alot. I would give the roundup at least a day to work before you disc it as well. Someone else here may know more about that. If the field has been in some type of grain, with little or no grass, roundup may not be needed unless you have some sort of weed problem like hen' sbit.

Soil testing is important. Lime and fertilize according to recommendation.

Clover is a very dense small seed that will go into ground quite easily. I have had good luck by working the soil, and then planting before a rain. If you want to work it in, be careful not to get it in too deep. Use an inoculant with the clover.

good luck
Old 03-24-2003, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info gregdude,it' s appreciated.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dragging the fence worked great with my colver,only drag over it once just to get it mixed with the soil.You can plant after nine days with Round-up.I would let it work at least a week then disk.Add a little dish soap with the round-up as a sticker,make' s it work quicker.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

First, do a soil sample for Giant White Clover. Next, wait until the grasses and weeds start growing/green up. Ig the plants are not growing the herbicide will now work. After the application of the Round-Up you will want to wait about 2 weeks for the herbicide to travel into the root system. If possible burn off against the wind. By this time you should have your soil sample back. You will then disk the area up lightly.The more you disk the more seed/spore you will bring up. Then add the lime and float disk and cultipack. Plant the seed and fertilize. You soil will determine which product you may plant. The ladino clovers generally require a heavier soil. You may want to prep the soil this spring and plant with a annual then re qork the soil in the fall and plant with a perennial...
Old 03-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info.