Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Living brush piles

Old 03-20-2003, 02:07 AM

Default Living brush piles

I have been thinking about making some living brush piles by partially cutting down and then pushing over some junk trees, leaving enough trunk intact to keep the tree alive. Hopefully this will open the canopy some for understory growth and also provide cover and browse.
I was walking my property the other day and was suprised how much deer had been feeding on woody browse considering this is farm country, crops everywhere, and it has been a very mild winter.
Most of the trees I noticed that have been browsed were oaks, which I dont want to cut down. My junk trees mostly consist of Elms and Osage orange, as well as a few others I dont know the names of. What is a good browse species to cut? And, do I need to wait for the trees to leaf out, or will they still survive if I cut them now when the woods are more pleasant to be in?
Thanks......Timber
Old 03-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Spike

Default RE: Living brush piles

Timberpig Ive been doing alot of this type of tree cutting lately. I just got done select cutting around 3-4 acres of mostly elms and maple and leaving the oaks, walnut and hickory. Two years ago I cut about a 1/2 acre area in the center of this same area and quit because it looked so destructive as I cut the trees at chest height and let them fall and remain connected to the main trunk. Well after two years I wish I would have went ahead and cut it all back then as the small area has really grown up thick with briars and the cut trees now look like bushes. As far as what trees to cut for browse for deer preference goes I didnt really think of it that way as Im sure some trees are more preferred and will be used first but most all will be browsed if the deer really need the food.

As far as when to cut I prefer now to avoid stressing the tree before the sap has moved up the to produce leaves. When you get done it looks like a tornado went through so you may second guess yourself, but in a few years youll be happy you cut and so will the deer.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:53 AM

Thanks Pilot. I' m not planning to cut alot of trees this year, I' ve got plenty to do already. But, I could cut quite a few in just a day if I wanted. I noticed walking around that just about every sizable downfall had deer beds beside it this winter, seems like more would be a good thing, especially near my permenant gun season stands. Around here most guys gather a small army and drive out the surrounding timbers in shotgun season and the deer head for the nearest thick cover. I' m hoping to creat that cover with living brush piles and tall thick native grasses, extra browse in the winter would be a side benefit for the deer and me in late ML season.
There is one area on the property that is so thick with briars and trees that I havent yet fought my way into it. It was overlooked during shotgun season by the past hunters, but its where I plan to be opening day of ' 03.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Do it... Can' t tell you how many deer I have seen in downed brush/tree tops...
Old 03-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I consider areas that the deer use as travelways on my property the areas where beavers have dropped poplars are amongst the most used. In this case the poplars don' t regrow but suckers and seedlings provide a dense cover for the deer. I' ve been chopping at a tree stump for 5 minutes before a deer flew it' s cover in this type of growth only 30 ft. from me.

Dan O.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 PM

Sounds good fellas, I think I' ll plan on cutting a few every year. Seems like a pretty easy chore as timber management goes.

Ive been working on the ultimate deer shack / shooting tower / whatever you call it, and cutting some around the area it will go should increase my visibility and deer usage at the same time.

Broke the clutch in the chainsaw the other day. Today the old man went to town for parts and came back with a brand new one. You gotta love old retired guys !