Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sawdust piles

Old 12-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default sawdust piles

Several of the spots I hunt have old sawdust piles. These piles always have lots of deer tracks on them. Does any one know what attracts the deer to the piles. I have a theory that as the piles decompose they become a mineral lick. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:27 PM

Default RE: sawdust piles

unfortunatly i'm not much help to your ?, but ive noticed same thing out bk of my house where i've cut down many trees, they have pretty much beat the snot out of it-over tha last couple of years. not as much of a pile anymore. be interested to see what others have say. srry no help.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

One of the piles used to be several feet high (my buddy grew up near the property). It is now level with thhe ground.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you ever dig down in them??/ they are warm under there .Give off heat. Maybe that is one reason.especially up north
Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Being you're from Maine, which i understand gets very cold, i think cardeer's point is valid. One other thing i think could be a reason is the smell. they could be attracted to the smell of that stuff. a pile of sawdust will eventually blow away in the wind and erode, so i dont think deer are directly responsible for this. i think maybe they like the smell of it, as some bucks have been known to rub on cedar trees because of the cedar smell.

slayer
Old 12-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Several of the spots I hunt have old sawdust piles. These piles always have lots of deer tracks on them. Does any one know what attracts the deer to the piles. I have a theory that as the piles decompose they become a mineral lick. Has anyone heard anything about this?
It has salt in it.

The sawdust has a small amount of salt in it and the deer smell it.

That is what I was told by my uncle and old timers.

And maybe other minerals since the tree roots draw it up out of the soil.

And when it is cut up it releases it.

thats my 2 cents
Old 12-02-2004, 04:45 AM

i'm not an expert in horticulture but doesn't saw dust contain sap???
Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I guess you really can't call them piles anymore. The area was logged probably 70 yyears ago. the 'piles" are the same level as thhe ground. They are also way past the heat generation stage. All that is left is a fine powder that no plants grow in. This makes me suspect high salt or acidity. Thanks for the thoughts so far
Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 AM

It's called salt and pure curiousity. We have these huge (12-16ft high) dirt piles around my place and the deer just get up on top, enjoy the view and walk down the other side.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

We still have a stand that we call the saw dust pile. I do not know how long ago it was a saw dust pile but it is still a great stand.

Quick Reply: sawdust piles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.