Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Clover and rape

Old 09-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Clover and rape

I startedmy clover plot in the spring and for the first fewmonths enjoyed some decent rain and growth. Lately its been a complete drought and all of it looks like its pretty much done. We had a few showers come up from hurricane faye, so i went to the feed store and bought a few pounds of turnip to overseed my clover.

1) was this a mistake?
2) things are already looking greener, will the rape over grow my clover?
3) is there anything else I can get down to mix with the clover for the fall?

I put down (in April) Whitetail Institutes Imperial Clover ith Chickory mix, and even added in some alfa Rack plus to the mix. I know the second year is the year of growth, and have already mowed it down 3 times choking the weeds, but will extra greens mean extra weeds?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clover and rape

It probably depends how heavy you seeded the rapeseed and how much soil was exposed.

Brassicas -can and will take over a clover plot pretty easily, but usually only for that year. enough clover should get established so that next year the clovers can come back stronger than ever. I like Rapeseed as a nurse crop with clover - but would only plant 2 lbs/acre (bare soil - at planting - with clover).

FH