Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Midwest Food Plot Question?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Midwest Food Plot Question?

Is there a type you can plant now and be ready for winter?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: Midwest Food Plot Question?

Absolutely. Most of us plant from southern MO to mid/north MO on Aug 15th. Problem is whacking out existing vegetation- especially this year. We always kill vegetation 3-4 weeks ahead and plant before a rain closest to Aug. 15th. Brassicas sweeten after the frosts- usually putting your plots correct by good bowhunting time- late Oct. We usually rotate and strip BCC (Brassicas, Chicories, Clovers)
(If your soil PH poor-- use pellitized lime, too late for ag lime) Good luck- you are late, but not necessarily out of the game.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Spike

Sorry, I just re-read your post. If you are focusing on winter/ late winter- I disk under pummeled plots/ poor plots in Sept and overseed wheat and oats- seems to work pretty solid for late season action.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just disced under a couple of clover plots I planted this summer that didnt take real well. I am planning on planting one in a turnip/rape mix and the other in oats. Both are good late season food sources. The rape gets very attractive after the first couple of heavy frosts and the turnips will carry through the majority of winter. Oats will hold up most of the winter as long as it doenst get too cold of too deep ofsnow.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Most of your Food Plot Seed companies have mixes designed to be planted this time of year. Most contain annuals like rape, turnips, red clover, crimson clover, oats, rye, winter wheat, etc. You can also contact your local AG Extension Agent to see what works best in your neck of the woods.

One of my favorite annual plots consists of Appin Forage Turnip, Bonar Forage Rape, Rangi Forage Brassica, & Pasja Hybrid Forage Brassica. They are designed to put out tons of top growth and are able to withstand grazing. Plus each of these plants matures at a different rate so that production for the food plot is extended over a longer period of time.