Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot question???

Old 04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default food plot question???

Let me try this again, what kind of fertilizer would I need, and also how much fertilizer would I need, to plant 1 acre of a mixture of Clover,Chicory,Brassica and Turnip. my soil ph-level is 6.7 --thanks Stevie
Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 PM

Default RE: food plot question???

Without a soil test you will only be guessing. You may already have enough NPK, or you may really be deficient, so it will be a guessing game.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Spike

Criggster is right...it will be a guess.

However, you are in Minnesota and our soils for the most part are pretty forgiving. Take the soil test if you want to make sure...or just plant and see what happens. If you see your plants stunted, yellow and pale...then you were low in P and K...or maybe even some others.

What county in MN are you in? If you are in the north or north central...then you better get a soil test. If you are in the central and south...you are probably pretty safe.

Land DR
www.HabitatNOW.com

Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try 0-14-40 ,you wont need any nitrogen it will just make the weeds grow.And it never hurts to put some pelletizes lime.It will be released over time.

Good luck Jim
Old 04-07-2006, 01:56 PM

The lime is a good idea... but do not put the lime and fertilizer on at the same time....Lime in fall, fertilize in spring.

As to how much and what type... I don't know your soils up there but down here in S. IL I generaly advise 300lbs/acre 13-13-13 as a base. We are in a silt loam type with heavy clay pan. The best thing to do is get a test done and react according to the findings