Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Need some plot design help (updated with satellite pic) >

Need some plot design help (updated with satellite pic)

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need some plot design help (updated with satellite pic)

Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some plot design help (updated with satellite pic)

I was hoping you all could give me some advice as to what to plant for my fall plot.

first i'll describe my plots:

1) is just a wide atv trail that has been disked up pretty good. it's about 10 feet wide and about 400 feet long. I have a stand location at the widest point in the trail where 2 other atv trails intersect.

2) on the top of a hill I have a spot opened up and disked good about the 25' x 100'

3) a small opening about 30' x 30' by a stand that I have setup. it's directly down an atv trail from stand #2 (the trail is also disked up right now).

I'd like to plant something different in each plot. Maybe for different times during the hunting season. I was thinking something for late season in stand #2 that would be good as late as november (in north central MN). the other two (plot #1 & #2) would be for bow hunting. There isn't any crops around, just two large hay fields directly to the south and southwest of my land.

any thoughts? also, like i said, i'm in central mn. when do you think i should plant?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Need some plot design help

Any pics? Would help to see the area and how they work together. Couple ways to lay out a good plan are google earth, save the screen image and then open it with the paint program on all windows computers. If not possible a drawn map with on-the-ground pics works. It's important to map out the previaling wind patterns.

For early season you can't beat clover/alfalfa mixes especially if your the only show in town, also they're treadable for you to continue using your ATV trail. For the late season most guys would say brassicas because of the limited size of plot #2 but it takes usually a couple years for deer to hook-up with a new food source. Maybe a mix of clover/alfalfa/chicory, then soybeans and canola(rape seed). Simply disk in the big seed then broadcast the small stuff and pack it with the ATV tires. This wouldreduce the risk and allow you to see if the deer in your area will hit a late season brassica plot.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok. hope this is visible. if not, i'll have to fix it later because I have to run.

the deer tend to funnel through my land from the north to the hay fields to the south west. but, a problem i'm having is they hang out in the swamp directly to the south and southeast. So, i have to kind of pull them a little north away from the fields.

also, this might be a little confusing #1 is mostly just a trail with a wide spot where the purple box is.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the pic, nice looking spot, with the recent logging the deer will be utilising that area more for browse, in developing a property plan it's a good idea to place plots in areas that you can hunt the deer and not just spots that are easy. By hunt I mean enter, huntand exit with the wind, undetected. With large "destination" food sources it will be difficult to pull deer with smaller plots and have overgrazing not be an issue. It may be best to have small plots along existing travel routes.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need some plot design help (updated with satellite pic)

I would put a plot a long the trails toward the center of your land so no one can see the deer when they are at your plot.ECT ROAD HUNTERS
Old 07-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Hey fello MN hunter. I plant a mixture of oats and brasicas in the first or second week of sept the tender seedlings are irresitable to the deer in early season and the brasicas are good after the first frost or two once the frost hits they ripen and become sweet knda like a banana how it isn't grea when it isn't ripe but good after it ripens.

It is hard to compete with large destination food sources but with some plots like this in a travel corridor you stand a better chance of seeing deer all day as they pass throughin the cover.

Also if you havean area that doesn't see much sun light try cabelas seclusion blend it works great in low sunlight.

Good luck this year and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Definatly dont plant near a local road .
There are poachers and road hunters unfortionatly..