Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Suggestions for fall plot? Satellite Image Included. >

Suggestions for fall plot? Satellite Image Included.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Suggestions for fall plot? Satellite Image Included.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suggestions for fall plot? Satellite Image Included.

Alright, we own 90 acres in Northcentral, PA. We have our first plot in (we planted in spring) of clover/rye mix. The plot is doing very well, and I will be mowing the rye down in about a week or so as the seed has matured quite well. We've had this plot in for almost 9 years, varying different crops (corn, rye, clover, turnips, etc). Anyways, here's a map to give you an idea of the property and plot locations:

Ok, ignore a few of the extra labels as I was using this for another post. Anyways, the red border is our property line. You can see where we have standing corn planted this year, as well as the current food plot (indicated in teal). Now, look at the yellow dot just north of the food plot, and you will see a pasture. That top half of the pasture closest to the current food plot is where I want to plant another plot. This ground has just been pasture for 20+ years, and the PH is roughly was the bordering food plot is (6ish). I won't get to till, and seed until mid-August, but I want something that will be huntable by the fall season (which begins in the beginning of October here). I'm thinking a simple oats/brassica mix, but will my timeframe be too late? I probably will till it, and have it planted by the third week of August, but that doesn't give it much time unitl October, so what are your thoughts/opinions on this? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Suggestions for fall plot? Satellite Image Included.

First thing you need to do is Spray the area you want to work, and kill all the competing vegetation in that spot. Truth be, without some good equipment to plow it up, you are better off spraying now a few times, and then working it up next spring, after it has hada chance for the dead root systems to break down.

On my property we have to use a ATV disc for our plots, and we have found that spraying in the spring and summer gives us the time needed to make working up the soil in August much easier. If it still is too tough, we just spray it again, and wait untilthe following spring. No point in wasting your seed money on a plot that really isn't ready to be planted.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would put three or four stands on the corn field for different wind conditions and plant Buck Forage Oats on the strips along the corn. The more plots/food sources you have on a tract of land the more you will spread the deer out IMHO. You have a very good situation.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

As a general rule labor day is a good time to plant grain type fall plots in the upper states.