Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help? selecting a apple tree

Old 02-25-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Help? selecting a apple tree

This spring i want to plant a few apple trees on my 50 acres in westen NY. I am going to plant a few patches for each wind direction thoughtout my property. How many trees do you recommend i plant in each patch, i was think 3 or 4. I have done some researh and have found that the semi-dwarf is the best. Which varitey would you plant in my area. This will hopefully be my honeyhole for mid- october archery season in a few years. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the help

eddie
Old 02-26-2003, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help? selecting a apple tree

This is DanO' s field... book' em
Old 02-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Six to ten trees is a good start if you' re planting dwarfs, 4 to 6 semi dwarfs will supply enough apples for a real draw in a few years. They' ll produce a lot of apples when they' re mature. Dwarf trees would only supply a quick snack for the deer in 2-3 years. The latest ripening varieties are (last ripening first): Rome, Lindel, Golden Russet, Mutsu, Northern Spy, Idared, and Golden Delicious. You' ll want to choose the varieties listed first as your best choice for Oct. apples.

lunchbucket; just 5 years to go. I can retire and go back to university for forestry.

Dan O.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Another choice for late maturing: Arkansas Black
http://www.reedvalleyorchard.com/Varieties.htm
try the above link for more info
Old 02-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that you will need more than one variety in a block for cross pollination, if you want to have maximum apple yield. The pollen of these varieties must be compatible. Any nurseryman can give advice on this.
If you have any number of deer in the area, you will have to protect the trees from them, or you will never see an apple. I once had deer totally destroy 250 apple seedlings.
I recommend semi-dwarf trees, as they have much better anchorage, and produce a taller tree which is more difficult for a deer to reach into and do damage. (Even on a semi-dwarf rootstock, the traditional Law Rome produces a rather small tree, and probably would not be a good choice.)
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

DanO... 8 years for me... you pig!!!