Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help selecting tree stand >

Need help selecting tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help selecting tree stand

Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help selecting tree stand

I just got signed up for a special season doe-only hunt in one of our state parks that is normally closed for hunting, but one of the stipulations is that all shots must be taken from an "elevated platform," in other words, a tree stand. I'm a big guy (with my bow and all my gear I'll be a shade over 300lbs, I'm sad to admit), and I've never really considered using a tree stand before, as I do my hunting from the ground in either a portable or natural blind.

This opportunity gives me the need and excuse to finally get a tree stand, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a portable, yet still safe, tree stand. I've looked at both the ladder type and the hang-on type stands, and from what I can see the ladder stands look very sturdy and easy to get in and out of, but are very bulky and heavy and wouldn't be easy to move if necessary. On the other hand, the hang-on stands are small and light and look easy to move if necessary, but look like they aren't half as tough.

As for the ladder stands, there are a dozen or more models that I've looked at that meet the load bearing requirement, so I won't mention any specific models here. As for the hang-on stands, here are a couple that I found that meet that weight requirement that seem like decent stands.

Lone Wolf Hang-on ($180 at Cabela's, 350lbs max):

North Starr Magnum ($80 @ Cabelas, 350lbs max):

North Starr Mega Star ($130 @ Cabelas, 400lbs max):

Mike

Old 09-21-2005, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Need help selecting tree stand

I just bought a summit bullet backpacker. Great stand , sit down climber and easy to use. $260 I pd at Cabela's. I am also over 6ft and weigh about 250. I looked at the lone wolf and have heard good things. However , it didnt look like something I'd want to spend 4-6 hrs at a time in. My summit folds completely flat and weighs 22lbs. Easy to pack in and set up. I could sit in it all day as it is that comfortable.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Lone wolf is a very nice stand. It is super easy to put up and take down making one alot more willing to move stand location from hunt to hunt. Id go with the lone wolf.
JOE
Old 09-21-2005, 09:10 AM

I can honestly say I feel your pain, being thatIm6'3 and weighing 250 lbs (wife learned to cook). I also have the Summit Bullet Backpacker and I absolutely love it. I would suggest that you look into the Summit Goliath. Its made specifically with us larger hunters in mind.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

You might as well just ditto LA Swamper's comments. I am his size and use the Summit Revolution. However, these stands are only rated to 300 lbs. The Summit Goliath is rated to 350 lbs and isn't much heavier, if at all, than the other models.

These are climbing stands we are referring to and not ladders or hang-ons. The climbers, in my opinion, give you great flexibility in terms of comfort and overall mobility.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 AM

I to am a tad larger than i should be , i am 5' 11" and 270. I have the lone wolf but i also have the king kong and i love both of them. The are both hang ons and i use the Gorilla climbing stick.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Driftrider,

I use the big game treestands. I think I use the Boss XL. They are like 70.00. Capacity is 300 lbs. I change mine a little to make them safer......I think! They come with one 2" nylon strap that goes around the top part of teh bracket. You can only tighten it by pulling tight by hand. I take a drill and ream out the brackets where this attatches and replace that strap with a 1" x 9' black ratchet strap. I also put the same size ratchet strap around the botton of the bracket. It seems like it pulls the stand into the tree so much better....I know I feel safer. I hunt with a guy that weighs around 300 lbs with all his gear, he sits in them and actually feels safer in my stand then any other. Good Luck and be safe!

www.big-gameusa.com
Old 09-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also looking at a climber right now and will likely buy a Summit Viper X5 Goliath, probably from Cabelas for $269.00 + shipping. From all my research it seems like the one to buy.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:23 PM

i too have been thinking of a CLIMBER and i have it narrowed to a summit. the BULLET BACKPACKER is probably the one for me. it will fold down flat my main requirement. i am 6ft 1in 240lbs. so i am under the max. and it looks like i could sit a long time in it. with practice it would be great to be able to up&move if need be. good luck jim
Old 09-22-2005, 05:26 PM

Well, I'm the third person that has just purchased the Bullet Backpacker. It's the only thing I've ever bought with out seeing it before buying it. (bought over the internet)
I'm 6' 180 lbs. I have plenty of room and can pack the stand long distances. I don't know if it's the right stand for you though. Both the bullet and golith are similar. It takes me 20 minutes to walk .2 miles, put my stand together, climb the tree, and pull my bow up, and take a deep breath. Very fast, quiet, and folds flat fitting easily under my bed.

kk

Quick Reply: Need help selecting tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.