Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Suggestions For Annual Food Plot

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Suggestions For Annual Food Plot

Anyone have an opinion on what seed to plant for a real good annual food plot? I have several plots in various clovers and was thinking of diversifying with some kind of annual(s). The area I am planning on planting is actually an old abandoned railroad grade that amazingly has great soil conditions. I sometimes have to walk in on it to get to several stands so was looking for something lower growing to avoid leaving scent behind on the plants (I wear high top rubber boots). There is plenty of corn and soybeans around me that a farmer plants so I was looking for something different. I live in southern Michigan and I'd appreciate any advice you'd care to give me.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Spike

we plant clover and soy beans and sometimes alittle corn every year. i live in lansing and hunt here and in albion and the standing beans are the best food plot i have noticed in southern mi.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

buck forage oats, brassica's..
Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

if thats what the farmers are planting, and the deer are eatin it, thats what i'd plant...unless you are hunting this farmers land already...after he harvest his stuff, yours will still be there and the deer will find it.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

I would think about planting a few rows of corn on each side of the railroad bed. Then you could walk into your stand without the deer seeing you, and/or deer could travel down it during daylight hours and feel safe.