Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

looking for Advice on food plot

Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM

Default looking for Advice on food plot

This yearI am going to build a bow hunting food plot. I need the plot in the back of the property I hunt. I have a huge thicket on east side a swamp on the north and hard woods letting in little sunlight during the day. There are High spots with gulleysrunning all through this chunk of property.

I am looking for advice on what to plant, Where to plant it, and size of plot to build. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: looking for Advice on food plot

Try asking in the wildlife managment forum. That place is a goldmine of foodplot info. Oh, and welcome!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Its amazing how fast you can get replies on this websight.

This plot is being made to hunt off of. I am really looking for advice on the layout and location of this food plot. I want to buildthis plot to hopefully assist mein harvesting a mature whitetail.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

An aerial photo would be helpful if you had one. Also, where are you located?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

It would take a lot more information than you have here to even get an idea of how to lay out a plot. You will first need to lay out the plot and get an excavator in there to clean out an area big enough to work with. You have got to have sufficient sunlight or you are wasting your time and money.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Just shooting from the hip. For bow hunting plots I like to make them in a horseshoe shape and place my main stand location inside the "U" back in the cover with shooting lane to as many points to the plot as I can.

Plant something that will stay green like clover and chicory would be my prefered, but depending on where you are located, north you can change to ceral grains and turnups.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:46 PM

I will see ifI can come up with an aerial photo to help. I am brand new to food plots. I know where the bedding areas are on this property. There are two decent size ponds. Thickets line the west side a swamp lines the north and the east and south are hard woods. Theponds are on the south east corner. I am working a 50 acre piece of the property. the property is 760 acres in all with aprox 15 other food plots north of me starting probaly 600 yards away. I am trying to draw the deer out of the thickets and swamp.