Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer feed and minerals

Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer feed and minerals

Just thought I would let people know that I have had the worst luck trying to find a vitamin/mineral supplement that my blacktail herds would eat/lick. I finally decided to add it in my Nutrena All Breed and cracked corn feed mix and the deer finally eat it. I'm using Whitetail Institute 30-06 and loose red trace minerals. Hope this helps for people wanting to give their deer minerals with the same luck I have had over the years.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: Deer feed and minerals

I know I am on the opposite side of the country and dealing with whitetails but I put out a homemade mix I got from another forum of 100 lbs trace mineral (the red stuff) 50 lbs stock salt and 50 lbs dicalcium phosphate 2 weeks ago, it was in a pile about 3 feet wide and a foot and a half tall (I think you are actually supposed to dig a hold and put it in but I just put it on top of the ground) and then topped it with a couple pounds of corn to get the initial interest of the deer and in just a couple days all the corn was gone and I could see where the deer had been lightly pawing and licking it. Well now two weeks later the deer have completely destroyed the pile, some is gone and they have spread it a bit and have began pawing out holes in the ground under and around where the pile started out, they have pawed the pile, licked it, been all in and around it! They seem to love it, might give it a try. The loose stuff is definately supposed to be better than using solid blocks also, the deer often try to bite blocks which are very hard, with loose stuff they can take mouthfulls if wanted and it seems like they do.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Spike

I forgot to add that that mix is cheap too $5 per 50 lb bag of trace mineral, $5 for 50 lb stock salt bag, $10 for Dicalcium Phosphate 50 lbs, about $20 to $30 for 200 lbs, just mix it with a scoop or something about the size of a coffee can at rate of 2:1:1.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, but I have tried that one also with no luck. I have spent hundreds of dollars over the years trying to find a mineral/vitamin supplement that works. I had no luck with the blacktail I hunt in the Oregon coast. I have only found that it works when mixing with feed.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

What "redstuff" are you using. I bet it is a product simalar to redmond trace mineral salt. at 5$ a bag it sounds about right. However the amount of trace minerals in this product make up a very small %, and do not meetthe animals requirements. If this is the case, I wouldn't even use the salt in your mix. a quality TM and Vitamin pack will run upwards of 60 dollars. thank CHINA
Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

We are running a 16% protein feed mixed with split peas and corn all at 1/3 each, our ranch is in west Texas and we have 8-9 different breed's of animals ranging from elk to audad and everything in between. We have had good luck with this and have several animals that we keep getting pic's of from year to year. I tried to post one buck as an example on herebut it wouldn't let me. I would say he gained about 15-20inches from 06 to 07, IMO it seems to be working well, we feed this mix from Feb to Oct which is when bow season starts here and then we feed protein and split peas out of our spin feeders the rest of the year. GoodLuck Guys