Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots and ATV's

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 AM
Spike

Default Food Plots and ATV's

Not a specific Bow Hunting question but since I only bow hunt I'm gonna ask it here. I just acquired a piece of land that is very hilly, almost mountainous but boy oh boy does it have some nice creek bottoms, oak ridges and "holes". Problem is it's not a long run after the shot until the deer is headed down hill and quickly, the creek bottoms are about 250 feet below the cabin and road/trail system. I have decided to purchase an ATV or Utility vehicle (Rhino/Ranger/Bad Boy). I have other properties that I have access to and would like to start some food plots on them, not large ones 1/4 to 1/2 acre size. So my question is for those of you who have and use ATV/Utiility Vehicles what do you recommend such as engine size, ATV or Utility Vehicle, attachments for food plots, other accessories etc. I am leaning towards an ATV between 400-600cc range but if I can get by with a 300cc I'd like to save the money but then I really like the idea of a Rhino or similar vehicle but not sure that is the smartest thing for plot development or going up and down mountains on small semi-developed trails etc, thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plots and ATV's

I think most ATV attachments designed for food plot preperation reccomend a minimum of 400cc. That being said, I would stay away from the monster 700-1000cc models. They are just too big to work in small areas and are tuff to get thru some areas of thick woods. The same for the Rhino-Bad Boy Buggy Type machines. Might as well take your pickup thru the woods.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you intend to actually plow with the atv then you will need a bigger one ( minimum 500 ) if just hauling you, gear and deer a 400 will do fine.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I use an artic cat 650 for my food plots, hunting and goofing and couldn't be more satisfied. I previously owned a Polaris Sportsman 400 and it just wasn't big enough to pull the disc without running RPM's too high. I have no issues with manueverability in the woods or anything like that. My neighbor has a Ranger and for tight spots its useless. You can get a good quad and disc for the price of a ranger or a badboy. Hope it helps
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

I used a 700 Kawasaki and 4' plotmaster for a couple of years. Except for having to watch the temp on the engine (I like to work the hard) I had no problems. I used it to plow, till, and plant. I put nice small plots with it.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Yamaha Kodiak 450 for my plots, i pull a 6'x6' disk behind it, that thing gets a work out thats for sure, I wouldnt go any lower than 450. Something that comes with a front diff lock is nice too for when you get stuck.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

yinz is nuts n at, hondas the only way to go
Old 03-20-2008, 03:03 AM

ArcticCat Prowler works great!