Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

your deer minerals

Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM

Default your deer minerals

does everyone use the deer minerals that are sold for this, or do you mix your own up. i use them both. the kind i mix up consist of 2 jugs of deer cocaine for the attractant,and ahalf bag of garden lime and half a bag of vitaimaide minerals, for one spot and the rest for another spot.i mix it up and try to use a clay type soil. the deer really take to it in my area.i'll try and post a pic of the site, thanks for your info.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:10 PM

Default RE: your deer minerals

I just use the mineral blocks sold at the farm supply for cows and horses, fourty pound block for five bucks!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I use one of three. Lucky Buck, Antler King, or BioLogic. Ususlly buy whatever I can get the cheapest at the time. The deer on my lease love it all.

Jason
Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

We put on Horns-A- plenty
Old 05-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Banned

I use the brown mineral blocks sold at farm and home too.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have 2 different kinds of mineral/salt licks here. I've been looking at putting one out b4 the season and then taking it out b4 I can hunt(legalities). But which one is better, the copper (i think its called cobalt) coloured one or the the blue blocks? I've also heard guys say that just rock salt mixed in the soil will help but then I think it would too difficult to remove.
Last year I put out corn, apples and when the acorns were in season I put buckets of them out........ I don't call it bait. I call it supplemental feeding or fattening up the meat. Its illegal to hunt w/in a certain distance of any type of bait or standing crop so I can't(don't) put it out during the season. I did find the deer in the area generally checked the site every few days to see if there anymore goodies left for them. The stand LOC that I used the acorns on had the most action, acorns wouldn't last more than a day or 2 and this was the only stand w/any oak trees so all the acorns were placed there. The trails doubled in number around that ridge.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 AM

For minerals I just use stock salt or pickeling salt. Dump it on the ground and that's that.

[/align]
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Using Cow/horse minerals is a bit of a mistake. Cows, horses and deer do not all use the same minerals/protien etc, the same way.
While the high salt content will attract the deer, the benefit of the ingredients may be lost because deer and cattle do not necessarily need or use the same things food wise.
Using amineral block designed for deer,we use Hi-Pro on our ranch, is your best bet.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use lucky buck mixed with deer co-caine. I was in Lancaster Archery last week and the guy said last year was the first year they carried lucky buck and this year they can't keep the stuff on the shelf. It's a lot of repeat buyers and friends. He said one guy asked if he had 20 buckets in stock!!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 PM

you may be right, but these south al. bucks seems to like it, andbe getting he right minerals to be growing rock'n chairs like this.thanks for the info, i'll try another spot with some of the brands you guys have mentioned.
ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

Using Cow/horse minerals is a bit of a mistake. Cows, horses and deer do not all use the same minerals/protien etc, the same way.
While the high salt content will attract the deer, the benefit of the ingredients may be lost because deer and cattle do not necessarily need or use the same things food wise.
Using amineral block designed for deer,we use Hi-Pro on our ranch, is your best bet.

Quick Reply: your deer minerals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.