Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Starting a QDM organization

Old 01-29-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Starting a QDM organization

We are trying to start a county wide QDM organization. We have about 50 people already interested, and I am sure there are people out there still unaware of our move. We are tenatively planning a meeting in the spring and one in the fall for this year. This will be a low cost (or no cost) to join this organization with members deciding what they want out of it. We are tenatively plan to do some record keeping for members as well as a few other low cost functions.

What are your suggestiions for do's and don'ts.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Starting a QDM organization

Contact the QDMA through www.qdma.org, and find the regional director that handles your area. Every organiziation needs to be based on fact. Basically, your members join the QDMA, and in return, your members have access to the latest in deer research, a Quarterly Whitetails subscription, promotianal materirals, speakers, and the beliefs and evidence surrounding QDM and it's origin.

We have a local group around us that I am a member of that claims their membership dues stay local. Local for what?? Their members get a quarterly 4 or 5 page newsletter based on the opinions of the president, a billboard here or there, and an occasional banquet you still have to pay for. The members learn little, don't have the expertise of informative speakers to bounce ideas from, and are mired in negativity, assumption, and opinion, not fact. But the money stays local. Is that a good thing?

The Quarterly Whitetails subscription is worth more than the membership!

Good Luck

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Old 01-29-2003, 11:45 AM

NorthJeff---Is the regional director the same as the branch president? I would say it may or may not be, but just thought I would ask first before making contact. I have been a member of QDMA for 6 monthes myself and have been practicing QDM on my farm for 3 years. I frequently visit their web site. We are not against this becoming a QDMA branch, however the cost of joining the QDMA would probably limit the number of members in this area. I do not deny the posible benefits of becoming a QDMA branch as well. The concept of our organization was to establish a QDM management style on as much of the land in the county as possible. We do not want the cost to become a member be some sort of limiting factor. We will encourage all members to become QDMA members. The QDMA branch president provided us with a lot of material at a recent outdoor show held in our county and we are taking his advise. I just thought I would ask and see if anyone here on this site has any experience in the forming of such an organization and use their experience as an additional resourse.

greg
Old 01-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

There are a couple of regional branch directors with the QDMA. One is Harley Sampson out of WI. There are only a couple in the country, and they help with branch setup, branch organization, speakers, promotional material, workshops, etc.. Many times private organizations convert to a state branch of QDMA due to the amount of info and professional support the QDMA has to offer. Your members are going to want to have the scientific support and facts the QDMA has to offer, and you can only get them from one source-the QDMA.

I have actually thought of doing the same thing you are doing-forming a private group and encourage the members to join the QDMA. Basically it would be a QDMA branch, but called something else to be more attractive to the stubborn locals. We'd have a local focus, but with QDM facts, figures, and research to accurately guide the focus. Then we'd eventually call ourselves an official QDMA branch.

Good Luck!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 02-02-2003, 08:32 AM

greg-dude

How about a cooperative? QDMA recently published <u>Establishing Successful Quality Deer Management Cooperatives</u>, to help property owners/leasees and hunters in an area improve the quality of the deer herd and their hunting experience. The publication provides instruction on establishing a QDM cooperative. Subjects include: starting a cooperative, benefits to both hunters and the deer herd, establishing management and habitat goals, and avioiding problems. It can be ordered by calling 1-800-209-3337.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks Twodogsphil. I will look into it.