Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

FOOD

Old 12-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default FOOD

ok i plan on puttin some bait stations out in about 2 months when the weather gets VERY bad. i was wondering what type of food is best for deer. Such as what they like and what helps them survive better. also do you guys have any home made feeder sugestions
Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FOOD

Shelled corn or Deer corn is what I use on my farm in Ohio
Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corn works well. However, it has no nutritional value to them and actually acts negatively on their digestive system. But hey, food in the stomach is better than nothing right? I use corn too, but i also use Antler King, something with a added "kick" (protein fiber and fat) to get themm through the winter. Sweet feed intended for cattle works well too.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

The best food you could supply your deer with, other than commercial mixes, would be sugar beets.
This is according to nationally know food plotter Ed Spin. Per Ed: "There is nothing better to carry deer through the winter season than sugar beets. At 95%+ digestability and sugar content at 20%, dry matter, not to mention a high content of minerals and vitamins you will, 'I promise' see a major improvement in their health and size."
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Spike

I hunt here in Ohio and everyone told me to put out apples, and carrots, and corn, and persimmons. Well I put out all that and the deer ate only.............the corn. I talked to a friend who has a lot of expierence and he said don't give them anything foreign. So I'm somewhere in the middle. Instead of plain corn, I mix some buck jam or something with it, to give it a little aroma for the deer to find easier. I'm still looking to find the best bait to give the deer to hang out on the property for a bit.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use corn to get them throught the winter and in early spring swith over to Antler King protein pellets. I always (cept for 30 days before hunting season and hunting season) have Antler king protein blocks out for them to get necessary protein.