Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Opinions on Optimizing Wildlife Potential >

Opinions on Optimizing Wildlife Potential

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Opinions on Optimizing Wildlife Potential

Old 12-08-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Opinions on Optimizing Wildlife Potential

Hello,

I live in Mid Western Minnesota and I just purchased some land out in "beet country". The property that I bought is located only 3 miles froma lotvery good WPA's and Pheasant forever/Fish and game land. The WPA's, etc are loaded with very good pheasant populations and decent deer populations but the problem is that these are some of the best areas in the region so they get hit very hard early in the season and the animals get very pressured...

Anyway the land I bought is 11 acres and being near to these wildlifes I have a few stray animals and birds wander on to the property but I am hoping to improve the land it increase its potential. there is approximately 6-7 acres tillable and 1-2 acres of very thick dense buckbrush. the property is laid out with a windrow on the East side of the property with a small field about 5 acres surrounded in buckbrushthen on the North side of the property is all windrows filled in with buckbrush and on the inside of the windrows is a small old pasture of about 1-2 acres that extends down the west side of the property and there is a road on the south side of the property. I am hoping to bring in pheasants and deer to the property does anyone have any suggestions on managemet plans?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Opinions on Optimizing Wildlife Potential

Here is an approximate picture of the way the property is laid out....

Old 12-08-2007, 11:02 PM

dang thats a high tech topo map!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM

I have a pretty good satellite photo from google earth but I can't figure out how to save and post it

Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 PM

the key to holding wildlife on or around your land are security, water, and food. mainly focus on the food and security part and maybe look into archery only on a small tract like yours. just my .02
Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Spike

I know you're not working with much, but a buddy of mine owns about 20 acres, and in the middle of it, about 5-7 acres, he has what he calls a sanctuary. It's a piece of the woods he NEVER enters nomatter what. He cut down a some trees to make good bedding areas, and fences off the area. I guess its supposed to make the deer feel safe. But every year he manages to pull a MONSTER buck. He gives no one permission to hunt his land, and he has food plots surrounding the sanctuary and a little stream. I don't know if this helps, but I find a big thing with deer is if they feel safe, they will hang on on your property. Plus the food helps as well. I hunt here in Knox county Ohio and I hunt about 80 acres, and we have a big alfalfa field on the corner of the property. Ever since gun season I watch does cross a huge field to come on our property to eat, then as soon as they are done, right back across the field to the neighbors where no one hunts. They obviously don't feel safe with me in the woods!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

11 acres is tough You will not be able to keep them on your property all of the time. BUT, if you can make one good bedding area and plant 2 or 3 food plots you should be able to experience some real success.