Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Opinions for food plot

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions for food plot

I just got the OK from my girlfriend's father to do a food plot. He has already had it tilled and the soil tested. He was going to plant some of his usual crops there but being a secluded spot on the farm itwill be the perfect spot for the deer. I have no experience with food plots. We are in the Charlotte, NC area. What would be a good choice to grow. The plot will be about 1/4 acre. I am not sure if I should go with soy beans, clover, oats or the Branded food plot type of stuff. What would be a good choice?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Default RE: Opinions for food plot

My uncle plants turnips and soybeans and can't keep the deer out of it. I have also heard that clover is easy and very effective. I will be keeping my eye on this post because I am equally curious!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd ask your future father-in-law what he thinks. He might have a good idea of what will do best on this soil.

If he has no preference - With a 1/4 acre - I'dgo with clover - you canexplain to him thatthe Clover food plot acts as as a diversion from hisCrops - which will be true. If it works out - you might get it up to 1 acre and be able to plant a soybean plot and leave it standing.

a 1/4 acre - correctly limed -Thick clover plot will attract plenty of attention from the local deer.

FH
Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be letting him make the final decision on what we plant since he knows the land and what type of crops grows best where. What do you guys think of Soy Beans Vs. Clover? I see many soy bean crops in this county and the deer seem to love them although they brown out and die half way through hunting season. Will clover make it through the winter here?