Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Logging road ideas

Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Logging road ideas

Kind of new to the food plot thing but I have a number of logging roads on my property. They arent completely shaded but they certainly wont get hours of sunlight everyday. Can you give me some ideas for what to plant on a logging road, something fairly shade tolerant. Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Logging road ideas

Warm season clover will probably work if you get at least 4-6 hours of daylight (may get a little weedy), try rye and turnups in the cool season.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Find the patches of road that run north to south. You should get the most sun exposure on them. Fertilize, Don't over fertilize. The limited hours of sun will not allow the plants to utilize it and weeds will take over. If planting clover I would not use any nitrogen at all. just use a zero-10-5 or a zero 10-10 If you can cut some trees down along the road side that would help also get some light in there. Look for natural browse that you can fertilize also.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Kind of new to the food plot thing but I have a number of logging roads on my property. They arent completely shaded but they certainly wont get hours of sunlight everyday. Can you give me some ideas for what to plant on a logging road, something fairly shade tolerant. Thanks guys.
I'm guessing by your screen name that you are from Minnesota, am i right? I have planted rye on my trails in September and it does well. As the leaves fall the trails get more and more daylight and it grows quite well. And the deer like it too.