Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

logging

Old 08-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default logging

The place where I deer hunt is being logged this month (August). Got any advice or tips for me? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: logging

Unless they are working right on top of you, I wouldn't worry about about it! I have not found that it bothered the deer too much, and it may even push a few more deer your way!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 PM

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago, except they started the week prior to opening day of Bow season. I hunted about 250-300 yards from where they were loging and the deer didn't seem spooked withit. I had several deer under me in my corn and they never looked towards where the trees were falling or the sounds from there. With them logging so early (depending on when your season starts) you should be able to go in after them and dress it up to hunt. If they are clear cutting then you can hun the edges, if they are select cutting you should be able to set up some lanes, and if they are thinning you should be able to find a hole to hunt. This will be great for next year with all of the browse. Good habitat.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

they just finished logging our land and the surrounding public land this last year, it was about a 5 year process, they selective cut our property and clear cut a bunch of the public land. one thing i will say, it looks like a totally different area. i wouldnt wry too much about it affecting your hunting. my dad hunted in the middle of some clear cut and he shot deer while they were working only 300-400 yards away. if your land is being clear cut like ours did, in a few years you'll be shocked at all the new growth, in our case it was poplar, and it is VERY thick. my dad still hunts in the same spot and 2 years ago he shot a nice 7 that was cruisin right through the thick stuff. expect to see an increase in size of your deer in the next couple years because of the excessive amounts of browse available. it may look kinda messy, but dont let it bother you, and good luck.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: 1950KID

The place where I deer hunt is being logged this month (August). Got any advice or tips for me? Thanks.
Pick out a couple of cull trees and see if the loggers will leave them. Then put up your stands and wait for opening day.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:35 PM

They say the first year when they log the deer come in to eat the leftover tops of the trees. It could be a really good season if you figure out where they are coming and going the only problem is they may just live in the cut and it makes them hard to hunt.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

You'll be blessing those loggers in about 2 years when the succulent new growth that all that new incoming light will be generating . Overgrown logging cuts are some of the best deer magnets around .
Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

deer adjust very rapidly to the changes and conditions of the habitat that they live in, I dont see that any logging will hurt your hunt at all, probably make it better if nothing else. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

My hunting spoy has been logged in some areas for the last 3 years. I feel better about it after reading some of this
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 PM

My property is in the proscess of being loged and on the weekends when we would go up to the property the trails that the logers had cut to get down the steep incline would be covered with deer tracks so I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: logging

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.