Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Old Logging Road

Old 08-08-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Old Logging Road

I've been doing some clearing on an old logging road out in the middle of some pines. the road is maybe 100 yards by 20 yards and gets plenty of light. i just wanted to know what the best thing to plant for deer plots would be we will be hunting on this road. we will be able to plow but i would like it to be ready by Oct. 1. What would be the best crop to plant and when should i. Thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Old Logging Road

Tell us where you are located, so we can give you the best advise.

It's hard to beat clover in my opinion. See planting dates at http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/in...nting/fall.php
Old 08-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do a soil sample ASAP. It may be a little late to get a lot of good out of a lime application, but I would get a start on it.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I think timbercruiser is saying; the soil is probably acidic. The pines act as shelter so the clearing could be a honey hole if there was a clover plot or long term small plots of "Sawtooth Oaks". These trees are amazing. Some that I'm growing from seed this year are 2 ft tall and putting out branches.

Dan O.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:44 AM

Dan O - I have been wanting to plant some sawtooth oaks, but everything that I have read says that they shouldn't be planted above zone 5. I am in northern zone 5 and southern zone 4 (Catskills of NY). Have you planted sawtooths before? If so, what kind of success do you experience? Thanks for any info/suggestions!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM

The area i will be hunting is in Buena Vista GA the land there is mainly pines and it is extremely sandy it will not get to cold also where is a good place to buy a soil sample and how to use one.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go to your local agriculture office for your soil test kits. They will have the instructions. If you don't know where it is, go by a feed and seed store and they will be able to tell you where it is.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 AM

Im in Ga, also and have the same road bed type of situation, try clover and winter wheat the first weekend in Sept.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

charlieb; I'll be trying them in zone 5b (warm 5) this fall. I've read the same as you, that they grow OK in zone 5 but they won't develop acorns in zone 4. You might try a few in a protected area. Also; I read about a variety that's supposed to grow in zone 4. If I find the info I'll post it.

Dan O.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found the link. There's a hybrid (-25 F.) and a Korean variety (-30 F.). I'd like to try it up here.

http://oikostreecrops.com/catalog/Oaks2.htm

Dan O.

Quick Reply: Old Logging Road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.