Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Main Beam Length - Age Estimation?

Old 01-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Main Beam Length - Age Estimation?

I'm sure its obvious that there must be some correlation between beam length and age, especially in the first 2-3 years of a buck's rack.

I got to thinking about it, because I was trying to estimate ages of deer taken, from the racks we had at camp, some from over 20 years ago. Some are obviously 1-1/2 yrs old (1st rack) others are obviously older. These racks are from deer before we used to keep records of this type of information. I was simply trying to discern between 1-1/2 and 2-1/2+ deer.

For example, one rack is from a crotch-horn - except the beams are 15" each. The diameter near the base is nothing special, but seems to be in line with 1-1/2yr old deer (on the high end of known deer). I have another rack known to be 3-1/2yrs old, that was only a 6 point, with 17" beams - but that rack is obviously heavier than any 1-1/2yr old and most 2-1/2 yr olds. These deer were taken prior to any management on the property.

My question to those in the know, is: Are 15" beams outside the normal length for 1-1/2yr old deer? It would usually be the case in my area. I realize that inside spread is likely a better indicator of age in most areas (when you only have the rack to look at). But the deer in our area rarely exceed 16" inside spread regardless of the age.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: Main Beam Length - Age Estimation?

Farmhunter, from the deer here in my area of IN Id say 15" would not be out of the norm for a 1 1/2 yr. old deer, but would be a higher end one of the group. Id say the average, atleast for the ones Ive looked at would be 12 to 14 inches. Here in my area of IN we have some pretty good genetics and a smorgasbord of foods. I seen one 1 1/2 old deer this year several times at close distances that was really nice. He had 5" brows, 6" G2's,4 or 5" G3's, but wasnt real wide maybe 13 to 14 inches. Boy I hope he survived gun season!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Spike

i agree with pilot in his reply. i am from indiana also, and the deer in my area seem to be larger than most of the deer than i seen in pennsylvania, where i am origionally from. it seems like a lot has to do with genetics and food supply. most deer in my area in the 1 1/2 year age group seem to have pretty decent racks. i don't know if the lengths of the beams will exceed 14 or 15 inches though. i am fortunate enough to own property that seems to be to be a haven for deer. i usually wait it out and take an older deer. i did take one deer two years back that i thought was an older deer. it was an eight pointer with 14 1/2 inch beams. the deer wighed 172 pounds. it was checked out by the DNA, and they said it was a 1 1/2 year old deer.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Beam girth is some indication that a deer is not young, a 125 class is unusual for a 1.5 yr old regardless of nurition. However, overall rack size tells little about the deers age but more about the genetics and nutrition available to the deer.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 01-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Farm Hunter,

If you know the particular deer in your area, it is very easy to tell the difference between 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5. Texas guides accurately age deer on the hoof up to 6.5 years of age for their clients. Biologists tend to be conservative when "aging" deer with tooth wear. Many times they can get it to within 1 year, and that is about it. Cementum anlysis of the tooth is the only way to be sure.

I was lucky enough to hunt in AL on a management hunt this year, and it was very easy to accurately estimate the age of the deer in the field, without ever even hunting south of KY before! I was able to accurately (backed by video and the managing biologists 4000 pictures a year camera census for the past 3 years of proof) age a 3.5 year old 9 point I filmed, a 4.5 year old 12 point I filmed, and the 2.5 year old management buck I was fortunate enough to harvest. We also discussed twin 2.5 year old 8 points, a yearling 6, and a few others.

If you can deffinately see 3 seperate class of antlers from your camp from the past 20 years, that's exactly what you have, 3 seperate age classes! Points may vary, spread, beam length, whatever, but not much, they should form an average. The antlers change a ton from 1.5 to 2.5 to 3.5, a little less to 4.5, and less each year until they regress.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 01-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its great to hear from you North Jeff - Its been a while since I've seen you here. Thanks for the input - I agree with your observations, our historical data (in the form of racks, going back 30 years) indicates that 70% of the deer taken over the previous 20 years, were 1-1/2 years old, 25% - 2-1/2 years old, and 5% 3-1/2 years old, - we have no examples of bucks older than that that we know of.

Of course, our goal has been to change the ratio, of age class taken, and we've been doing pretty well! The guys in camp, wanted to compare our success against history for the property. And since we had no great records of deer taken years ago - except the racks and memories, we did the best we could. Our goal on our property is to make the 2-1/2 year age class the primary target, increase 3-1/2+ deer, and protect more of the younger bucks. - Sure its not "King Ranch" management - but lets get real - we're managing 200 acres!

The last 5 years Our harvest for bucks has been more like 50% 1-1/2yrs, 40% 2-1/2 years, and 10% 3-1/2yrs. We are getting there - but still have some ways to go!

- Do not be a stranger - hope to see you here more.

Old 01-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pilot & jogadaman,

Thanks for your thoughts on main beam length. I've since designated the 15" beamed 4 pooint - as a 2-1/2 year old based on other information from the are - including beam length and 1st circumfrence measurements. Interestingly, a couple bucks with only 12-14" beams were also put into the 2-1/2yr old category - based on 1st circumfrence measurements, and overall mass.

I'm sure our estimations are not perfect - but generally, we've decided that deer with 14" - 18" beams, are likely 2-1/2yr olds, bucks with beams over 18" are probably 3-1/2 yeaqrs old.

Thanks to everyone else who gave some input.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

farm hunter,

I am a self-employed real estate appraiser, do a lot with my property, shot archery around the country last year from Feb thru Aug, and hunt as much as I can get away with. That being said, this is my slow time of year-just scouting while running beagles, and a few field trials, and I get very excited about the upcoming planting and planning season. I look forward to getting back on this board for a few months and enjoyed seeing some of the same old names on the site!

I'll start a post with my results from last year. I learned some things and although I didn't harvest a deer on my property, I had some great pictures of bucks, and made some headway on new food plots and plantings.

I'm in the same boat for management. I love to have the 2.5 year olds, with one or two older around each year-that's my goal. And like you said, it's pretty easy to age the bucks in that 1.5 to 3.5 age class.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan