Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Manure in corn plot.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Manure in corn plot.

This year we've had alot of snow - nearly 100" for the season, with 2-1/2 months of serious winter left to go. As you can imagine, the deer are literally living in our standing corn fields. Its hard to estimate the numbers of deer coming and going, but its safe to say that the Mature Hemlock woods, and 2 fields totaling 7 acres of standing corn have attracted most of the deer from the general area this winter. I'd guess that we have between 50-60 deer on the 200 acres right now - but its a sheer guess based on the deer seen and tracks observed. (remember this is a yarding situation - and not our normal population).

Anyhow, since all these deer are spending so much time in the corn fields, you can imagine the sheer #s of deer pellets on the ground. It occurred to me last year that the would be some fertilizer value, but last year was not anywhere as severe as this winter.

I'm sure this is all good, I'm curious what effect the addition of several 1000 lbs of deer droppings might have on the field, at planting next fall?

Old 01-14-2003, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Deer Manure in corn plot.

I would think it would be like a grass field with cows on it.once spread and cut in it would be good for the crops.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may get the sumac's you were looking for without any work at all. You lucky guy.

Dan O.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dan, if I can just convince them to use the hedgerow facilities, I'd be all set!

Seriously though, Do you think a couple 1000 lbs of Deer Manure would make any significant change, especially in N values? I tend to think that while it looks like a lot of droppings, its got to be a small addition, like 10-15 lbs of N per acre - Would you agree?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It'll probably be 1/5 to 1/10th of what is required for full fertilization. Manure has an higher response rate than the nutrient content that it carries because of bacteria, organic matter and other factors. It definitely won't hurt.

Dan O.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:22 AM

my first thought was,if you have all these deer that are not normally there,what are they doing to all of the native plants and trees.i know deer will not "just" eat the corn. up my way when people start feeding the deer, the trees take a big beating and can't recover.than in the spring they go for all the new shouts of other plants comming up,they also can't recover. just a thought good luck
Old 01-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

xcellerator,

Good point you make, and yes, the wintering herd can
be awful on the native browse, especially preferred
plants/trees.

It has gotten better since we planted corn/clover. If
you've followed any of my older posts, you know that we
struggle on how to provide year round nutrition for our
resident deer herd, in the face of a wintering herd.

Old 01-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sean I am wondering if that manure has as much value as say cow manure or hog manure, since it probably contains sticks and leaf content as well. I suppose if you have it spread on the ground 4 or 5 inches thick it might have more nutrient value, but I wouldn't rely on it for my fertilization program. What do you think?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, I'd like to think it did - but really do not think its much, probably not enough to hardly consider in the next year's planting. I'm sure it adds some back, but how much??

As far as comparing it it cow/pig manure - I did try to research this somewhat - but found little in comparison. Here is what I've inferred from what I learned though:

Cows especially, are overfed - by virtue of what we want out of them )milk/beef) As a result, they cannot possibly utilize all the Nutrients they take in, so their manure is Relatively High in essential elements for plant growth. In contrast, deer rarley take in more than they use - so thier byproducts are less in proportion.

I think back to when I used to milk cows in school, we'd load the manure spreader, and when it was full it probably held several tons of manure - yet the spreader only put it down about 1/4 -1/3 acre - so when I think of the lbs of deer manure that are being put down, I think its a smaller proposition, even over months of feeding.

I hope I'm wrong!

Old 01-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, I'd like to think it did - but really do not think its much, probably not enough to hardly consider in the next year's planting. I'm sure it adds some back, but how much??

As far as comparing it it cow/pig manure - I did try to research this somewhat - but found little in comparison. Here is what I've inferred from what I learned though:

Cows especially, are overfed - by virtue of what we want out of them )milk/beef) As a result, they cannot possibly utilize all the Nutrients they take in, so their manure is Relatively High in essential elements for plant growth. In contrast, deer rarley take in more than they use - so thier byproducts are less in proportion.

I think back to when I used to milk cows in school, we'd load the manure spreader, and when it was full it probably held several tons of manure - yet the spreader only put it down about 1/4 -1/3 acre - so when I think of the lbs of deer manure that are being put down, I think its a smaller proposition, even over months of feeding.

I hope I'm wrong!