Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots 2 more DETAIL

Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plots 2 more DETAIL

ok here is what i've come up w/ we will plant 1 large one. it will be an annual. bordering a small pnd and swamp andwill have spoils. a soibean field and small alphal field about 200 yds. away. i know you are thinking you have the food plot. but the deer have no set travel pattern at all so what we are tryin to do is creat a small staging area so to speak. and a bit of a late season plot. i thought about puttin beats around the edge of the plot. as like an appatizer. then i was turnin to you guys for advise on what i should plant. i think the idea would be good due to teh swamp and spoils for cover and teh pond as a water source. now my other plan i would like some help w/ i wanted to plant an orchorid abotu 500 yds away. i was thinkin pears and apples. with some grape arbors. i also wanted to plant like some type of beats peas or mayb a small grass of soem kinda

i also want to plant a liage stand of orchard grass or some kinda tall week like that amyb put in some sun flower seeds anytype of high cover for a little beddin area

Tell me what you think of it!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plots 2 more DETAIL

Buckeye, Im no expert but I will share my food plot experience. Howlarge an area are you going to plant 1/2 acre?1 acre?? I tried planting sunflowers in fact I planted a 3 acre plotof them, but the deer ate the entire field down when it was less then a foot tall, this is in Mt Vernon Ohio. I ended up going with 8 plots on my farm they range between 1/3 and 1 acre each, In the springI plant half of the food plots in grain sorghum and the other halfI plant in buckwheat In early summer when the deer finisheatingthe buckwheat plotsI disk it down, then in mid July I replant those plots in brassica mixtures, The deer leavebrassicas pretty much alone until after the first couple of frosts. I have had good sucess so far... as for orchard grass why not plant switch grass instead, it stands up better to snow... I have a 1 acre patch and a couple patchs that are a little over 3 acres each and it really holds the deerwell when they get pushed from their normal bedding resting areas... I am sure others can give you better advice this iswhat I have found sucessful for myself.. Also the switchgrass seed and sorghumis available at low or no cost from your local pheasants forever chapter.. hope this helps you a little