Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Quality Deer Management (QDM)

Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 PM

Default RE: Quality Deer Management (QDM)

wow.. kevin sure does get fired up about that quickly.
sure, no one MUST participate w/ QDM... but a Simple "no thank you, i would rather kill any deer i see" is more polite and Humanistic that "RUNNING THEM OFF"

Below is PROOF that QDM .. Over SEVERAL YEARS .. On Large Acreage Ranches.. DOES WORK !!!!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Spike

IfTHAT neighbor doesn't want to come on board with your objectives, that's his right, it's his land after all, a similar situation came up down here in Mexico, wheresome people don't understand QDM,besides the fact that the guy set up 6 feeders and three hunting blinds 20 yds frommy fence line! The solution: High Fence THAT neighbor! He don't want big deer!? Fine by me,he won't get them! At least fromMY side. Hope youcan come to a win-win situation.

BTW, Awesome deer JIMRABY!

Best regards,
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

I just got done defending QDM in another thread and you guys are for it and skewing what it is about over here at the same time, lol. QDM is NOT about racks. It is about managing for a healthier, more balanced deer herd that has a normal distribution of bucks in every age class. You get there by harvesting enough does to maintain the population below carrying capacity and a balanced sex ratio and delaying the harvest of bucks until they reach a certain age class (not rack score, # of points, spread, etc.). The number of deer harvested using QDM concepts is actually higher on average because as everything reaches the point it should naturally be at, the fecundity rates increase.

If you approach anyone on the premise of trying to convince them to do what you want, then you run the risk of them having the same reaction that Kevin had about it...just let them know what you are doing and why then let them make decisions on what they want to do. If they decide that they do not want to follow the same management that you all are doing...then accept it because it's not a big deal. My property is only 212 acres and our QDM program is becoming very successful...and those landowners that weren't 'on board' at first are now changing their mind about things.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: NiceAndBlue

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

so kevin1, you're saying that even if someone came and politely suggested something to you, you would run them off? hmmm....not so sure i can understand you on this one[&:]
Just because you trophy hunt doesn't mean that your neighbor does, and I already have to contend with restrictions I sometimes don't agree with imposed by the state, so do what you want on your own land but don't try to tell me what to do on mine. I don't and never will consider pipe dreams like QDM a valid reason to interfere in how I live, so I would view such a request as impertinent at best.
Kevin Haendiges
NAHC Life Member (supports QDM)
NRA Member (Supports QDM)
Wildlife Forever Member (Supports QDM)
GOA Member
Buckmasters Member (Supports QDM)
http://hunting-indiana.com

Kevin, As I look at your signature, I am surprised at your outlook on things. As a member of all these organizations, you would undoubtedly have to have come across the phrase teamwork a few times. Wildlife management isn't about what people can gain out of the wildlife, it's what people can do to help those species thrive, and enjoy them as a benefit.

Quality deer management isn't about trophy hunting, its about equalization of the deer herd in more natural proportions. One of the most important tenets of herd management is keeping the herd size under the carrying capacity of the land. The second most important thing is the buck to doe ratio. That is what most QDM is attempting to repair. Nobody is trying to tell anyone what to do. We are trying to educate people so they want to do it, for the deer first and the hunters enjoying the hunt more.

Game belongs to the state because inconsiderate people would wipe them out if the state didn't place controls on game harvests.