Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Cost for Aerial Photos?

Old 01-16-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Cost for Aerial Photos?

Has anyone had any aerial photos taken of their property? I want to have some pics taken of my land and some of the neighbors. I know you can get them off the internet (terrasever and some others). However my land and the neighbors has be logged, many fields are overgrown as well as many other changes. The ones on the internet are well outdated. I live in chatuaqua county New York. Any idea on the price. How good do the pics turn out. I have 50 acres however I would like to get a pic of around 1000 acres or more including some of the neighboring land. Or get one of both, my land being a closer pic the other land farther out. Any thought or suggestions???
Eddie
Old 01-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cost for Aerial Photos?

Terraserver does offer newer photos for sale. I bought a couple about 5 years ago and they were very good in quality. Good chance they would have newer ones available. Have you checked with your local agriculture office, property appraiser office or maybe with some of the local timber companies? Good chance they can point you in the right direction. Call Terraserver and speak to one of their technicians if you can't locate one locally.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

EDDIEE,

I priced it once to have a local pilot do it for me - it was like 250.00 to have a service do it, cheaper if I had a "freelance" pilot at the local airport take a camera up and snap some shots (like $100.00).

You might take a trip to the local county airport and inquire, I guess its not uncommon to have hobby pilots do this on the side.

Since you are in NY - I wonder if you are familiar with this site:
http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/SCRIP...;start=GISInit

The GIS does infarred pics of NY only, to 1 meter resolution. Here is a pic of our hunting property, its 1994 image, so it too is not up to date, but the images are good.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:05 AM

Look at a small local airport for someone,, if not there will probably be a message board there you can put up a note.

I bought one that is 12 years old for the property I hunt,, have had a fair bit of logging done since then and some building, but believe me its worth its weight in gold!

Got lucky in the last couple years Ive gotten to know the person who owns an adjoining property. He likes to buzz the cottage early am in his float plane. Going up this summer and going to take complete aerials with a regular camera, digital, and videotape.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:32 AM

Go to your county Land & Water Conservation office. They have quadrangle maps taken called ortho photos. They are in stereo pairs and may have them for sale. I know here in this county they are selling last year photo copies for $6. You can also get them in digital format which I have of the land we hunt. Great resolution and easy to manipulate.