Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Pelleted Lime

Old 01-10-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Pelleted Lime

Is pelletted lime more concentrated that regular ag lime. Would you recommend that it be used on spots that are only 1/2 - 1 acre in size? I've heard that it doesn't last as long as reg. ag lime. Any thoughts or experiences with this???
Old 01-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pelleted Lime

I'm no expert but here's the only 2 differences I know of.

#1- The pelletized lime is easier and doesn't make as much of a mess to spread.

#2- The pulverized (powder) lime is cheaper. I can buy a ton for $70 versus about $130 for the pelletized lime.

Both seem to work about the same and it will take around 6 months for it to "kick in" and change the pH level.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the pelleted lime is just lime that has been processed into a pelleted form for ease of application in areas that it isn't feasible for powdered lime application. It should do fine for your hard to get to small patches.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried pelleted lime as an experiment, and loved its no-mess and ease of spreading. I was not thrilled with the price - 4-6 times as expensive in my area. The bag said "equal to ag lime by weight", so I think its about the same. I do not know if it breaks down as fine as ag lime, but would assume it does. I did not use enough of it to compare side by side w/ag lime - but would not expect any difference.

I hear you can buy it cheaper in some areas (not mine) in bulk, but still not as cheap as the standard lime. I think its more suited to a garden situation, or very small food plot.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

Pelletized lime is a super fine ground limestone with a binder added to create granuals, much like a common N-P-K fertlizer has. It is very no mess, spreader friendly, and breaks down when in contact with water/rain. A local store sells some for about $3.80 for 40# bag, its composition is 30% CaCO3 and <1% MgCO3

Ag lime can vary alot depending on the source. A local limestone quarry produces some Ag lime ground super fine and white like flour in 50# bags that retails for $1.80 and is 32% CaCO3 and <1% MgCO3.

Another store had Ag lime in 50# bags for $1.50 that was 20% CaCO3 and 12% MgCO3, ground slightly courser than flour, and more sandy yellow in color.

Then I've seen bulk Ag lime delivered to farms that was a mix of ground lime in size from powder to small chips of limestone.

AS far as the concentration, the finer the lime, the quicker it reacts with the soil and effects the PH. Some say pelletized lime is more concentrated just because it is finely ground once water breaks down the binder. There are some bagged Ag Limes that are just as finely ground as pelletized lime and just as effective. It is just a cost verses spreadabity/method issue. What you should use is your choice based on ... what types of lime is available to you, cost, how you will spread it, and ease of access to the plot.

As to effectiveness ... the finer the grind the quicker the lime effects the PH of the soil. A coarser grind would react more slowly, but have a longer lasting effect on overall soil PH.

As far as lime composition, I've read where the Magnesium Carbonate (MgCO3) effects soil PH slightly more than the Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3). The Mg also can improve plant health and nutrition content as well as helping to prevent spring time grass tenty?(sp)(a Mg deficiency) in bovines.

Edited by - 1sagittarius on 01/16/2003 05:57:35

Edited by - 1sagittarius on 01/16/2003 06:19:07
Old 01-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Pellet lime must be used more often and is substant expensive... Sometimes it is the only thing that may be transported. The granulated ag lime is the best...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42