Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

small water holes

Old 10-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Default small water holes

i heard of people putting out small plastic ponds kiddie pools and even old bathtubs to gather water when it rains for deer to have a drink does this really work wouldnt it get real mucky and dirty?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: small water holes

Yes, and deer don't mind they can handle it. Actually they perfer this to running water to avoid pretadors.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

or dig a hole and plastic line it..rocks on bottom..add wter yourself from time to time...once filled
Old 10-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

There is a small water hole I am hunting by right now and to keep it filled I have a plastic 55 gallon drum with a nozzel and piece of hose, works like a charm and the drum empties in about two minutes. I dont use a pump either, just let gravity do the work.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Spike

what about fortifying the hole with a salt block or mineral block? Wouldnt that make it more attractive, and have the added benefit of nutrition?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Uddeholm

what about fortifying the hole with a salt block or mineral block? Wouldnt that make it more attractive, and have the added benefit of nutrition?
I hope you don't mean put salt in the watering hole. That wouldn't make sense. Nothing wrong with putting a salt lick near the watering hole though.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Iron Archer

There is a small water hole I am hunting by right now and to keep it filled I have a plastic 55 gallon drum with a nozzel and piece of hose, works like a charm and the drum empties in about two minutes. I dont use a pump either, just let gravity do the work.
That's a good idea. Another idea that I've seen, and can't find a link to right now,involved making an artificial watering hole that uses steel siding angled towards the water collector.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A small isolated water hole can be hard to beat whe located in the right early season location. Plus, I consider a waterhole a MUST HAVE on any property. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

dont salt block it...will make them drink the hole up