Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Which kind of honeysuckle??

Old 01-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which kind of honeysuckle??

Should ya plant? Heard bad things about japanese.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Which kind of honeysuckle??

I'm looking at a Food Plot book right now and in here the only honeysuckle they talk about is Japenese Honeysuckle. The book claims the Japenese Honeysuckle is high on a deers hit list and is also favored by turkey and quail. Says it remains green and palatable throughout the winter months and can reach a protein level as high as 20 percent when fertilized. What have you heard bad about it? I've never messed with it but was planning on incorporating some on my hunting properties.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a good link for Japanese Honeysuckle. It appears to be illegal in Illinois.

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/edu/VMG/jhnysckl.html

Dan O.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the link I guess I won't be planting any Japenese Honeysuckle after all. Does anyone know if native honeysuckle can be successfully transplanted?? I have one property that is full of it and the deer hit it hard in the winter was wanting to atleast possibly transplant some of these plants to different properties.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Spike

When do you want to ferilize this plant to get the best protein for the deer? Thanks

Chad
Old 01-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

I had emailed this site several years ago and learned they used/sold Japanese Honeysuckle. The trelis/cage keeps the honeysuckle from becoming invasive and prevents the deer from over browsing it. It seem to be easy for any semi handy person to construct themselves. An interesting read ....

http://www.rackbuck.com/kitinfo.htm
Old 01-14-2003, 12:50 AM

IL TROPHY HUNTER You shouldn't really have a problem transplanting, just remember to dig it out a little beyond the drip line of the shrub,then cover the root ball w/burlap and if can soak it,Then it would also be a good idea to have the new holes already dug up.Go to your local garden store get some kind of "Root stimulator",Fertilome has one and it works great.And another tip,Make sure the new holes are big enough and make sure the bottom is flat as possible,so you won't trap oxygen in the hole. Then fertilize,maybe like a 17-17-17.Then if you want to fertilize in the fall use sometning like 5-20-20.Because in the fall you want more phos. and potash to have a stronger roots.