Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Suggestions for this Property

Old 01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suggestions for this Property

The property is like this:

- 35 acres open hay fields
- 10 acres which are brush-hogged
- 42 acres which is wooded
- 8 acres where buildings are located.

The wooded piece is maily hemlock, cedar, white pine, fir, and very little mixed hardwoods. We have some young red oaks which are years away from producing a mast crop. I have planted crab-apples over the years. Currently there are approximately 40 crab-apple trees including some wild ones. Most are in the area of the pond. We are going to do some selective cutting this winter to try and open up some spots to generate young growth. Taking mainly the fir.

There are several streams running through the property and a pond which is about 40 yards across and 10 feet deep. The Winooski river is about .3 miles away.

Adjoining properties are similar in terrain and make-up.

I plan on doing some planting this spring which will include corn (to leave standing all winter) and BioLogic Clover Plus. I also have another order of 8 crab-apples and 6 Serviceberry shrubs which are berry producing. I also want to add some more white pines to the mix in hopes of creating more cover. There is one spot which is kind of thick, but I think it needs to be thicker to be a good bedding area.

Any suggestions on what else I can do to improve the habitat for turkey and deer? Am I on the right track, or going about this all wrong? Where do you think I should place the food plots and corn?

Thanks for the input. . . Rob

Old 01-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Suggestions for this Property

Hello Rob,

It sounds like you are on the right track, and then some. Planting some plots and encouraging thick growth for bedding areas are real steps forward.

Without knowing the deer patterns, or prevailing wind in your area, its difficult to say exactly what to do. In general, You want your best food plots toward the center of your property, that would include clovers and or corn. Your property appears to have a couple decent looking spots for plots along the borders in two places, I'd consider a fall planted cereal grain like rye, or winter wheat here to hunt over in these places. I assume you have no intention of planting all 35 acres, so I picked what looked good for planting in my eyes, green=green food plot, Yellow =corn.

When considering improving bedding areas, remember that at least 1 side of your food plot(s) should border thick, bedding type cover, you'll see more use this way.

Good luck,

Old 01-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input farm hunter. The prevailing winds seem to be from the south-west. Deer generally travel from the east heading west toward the open fields.

You're correct in that I don't want to plant the 35 acres of open fields. We have a local farmer which hays them. The soil isn't that great either, a lot of clay in the area. Also, the border on the north side which runs west is an old railroad track bed. It gets lots of traffic from 4 wheelers, joggers, and biking.

I am also considering a pumpkin patch and a section of sunflowers. I know deer love pumpkins and I thought they would like the sunflower seeds as well. I'm sure the turkeys would get into the seeds.

I have a small 21hp Kubota with a bucket and a 5' blade. I am considering getting a rotatiller which would run off the pto on the back. This should make the planting task a little more manageable.

In addition to selective cutting to promote undergrowth, what else can I do to establish good cover for bedding?

Thanks again . . . Rob

Old 01-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob,

My experience with bedding areas, is that sometimes thin cover, in a good good area like a hillside, gets more use than , say thick willows, in a low spot. The deer can make better use of their senses if the wind is right, they have a clear escape route, and they have some visibility.

My favorite bedding areas on our property, are brushy hillsides with widely scattered white pines, growing in clumps, and alot of goldenrod. The goldenrod needs ample sunlight to grow, and the pines need to be far enough apart to allow the sun in. Other typical brush in this type of bedding are would include Blackberry, Thornapple, Wild Apple, buckthorn, and other brushy type "bush type" trees, like maybe hazel or dogwood.

Blackberry and goldenrod can be introduced fairly easily, you probably already have some on your property. Fast growing white pine, and/or Austrian pine can be introduced if brushy fields already exist, you may even be able to transplant them from other areas of the property. Remember you want them spaced widely 20-30 ft and then planted in clumps of two or three. If the terrain is hilly, plant the pines on the hill tops.

Also, fertilizing fresh cut areas you thin out, will do wonders for regrowth. Just scatter 100-200 lbs/acre of 15-15-15 a couple times a year. The deer will know the difference, when they browse.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a an old clearcut (12 years old now) on a hillside on the east end of the property. It is about 50 yards from a field. It is pretty well grown over with raspberry bushes and there are alot of sapling coming up (perhaps poplar?) It's about 40 yards wide and is "L" shaped. It goes down the hill 60 yards, takes a hard right and goes for another 125 yards. Deer tend to bed at the top of this cut.

Shoud I leave this alone and let it grow, or should the berry bushes be selective cut to generate new growth? Seems like the top might be a good place for white pines, do you agree? The top of the cut also is bordered by a fair size stand of cedar.

I mentioned earlier about getting a rototiller for my Kubota. Do you think this would be better than a disc or harrow? I would say the biggest plot I would do is less than 2 acres. Any other thoughts on equipment?

Thanks again . . . Rob