Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

water?

Old 01-10-2003, 07:31 PM

Default water?

i got 35 acres i'm going to plant two small food plots but i need a water source. the only water is a stream about a mile away at least that the only one i know of. i want to put a little water hole on my land, 99% oak trees sandy soil. thought about digging a hole and lining it with clay and a pool liner? i'm digging it by hand so its not going to be real big any advice will be helpfull
Old 01-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: water?

You should have a gully area that has surface runoff during torrential rains. Dam a section and either use a pond liner or bury a 45 gallon (or larger) plastic barrel cut in half. They're supposed to work like magnets if there's no other water available.

Dan O.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'd be curious as to why you want the water hole. Is it for irrigation or as a deer attractant? If for an attractant I'd need to know where you are.There's a big difference between Michigan and Texas as to how far a deer has to go for water.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:34 PM

if you are wanting water for the wildlife,there is a new product that looks like a water tank fo cattle,it catches and holds water with a slopped trough for the animals to drink from.
I ust two 1/2's of a plastic 55gal. drum put into the dirt with about 12" sticking out of the dirt.it works great.sometimes when the hogs get bad the will stop the deer from coming.
You can put a fence around it to keep the hogs out,the deer and other animals can still get to it.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:49 PM

answerguy i want the water hole for the wildlife my property is about 2.5 miles west of houghton lake, there is pobably a water source closer than a mile but i can't go walking on somebody elses property to look for any but when i was a kid walking around the area i don't recall any thing near by. DAN O. gave a good idea there's a spot between the two food plots where i can try something thanks