Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weed Killing Without Chemicals?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Weed Killing Without Chemicals?

My father and I planted a 1/4 acre plot of clover/chicory this spring and for some reason the plot has ragweed growing in it even though there is no rag week anywhere in sight. The clover and chicory have both come on nicely but there is just too much rag weed in the plot. My father does not want to use herbacides to get rid of the rag weed because he doesn't want to use chemicals if he doesn't have to. Is there any other way to get rid of the rag weed or am I just going to have to convince him to use herbacides.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Weed Killing Without Chemicals?

Get a hoe and get to it.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

So just like the weeds my grandmother used to have me pull from her garden when I was a kid huh? I guess a little manual labor only makes you stronger. I still might try to get him to use some herbacide. What works best on a clover/chicory plot though?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Have you noticed whether or not the deer are eating the ragweed? Around here they really like the young ragweed. I suggest you leave it alone until another few weeks and then mow the entire plot to about four inches. This is about the only way to rid yourself of it w/o using chemicals, and sweat.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of my clover plots get ALOT of Ragweed - from when we used to plant corn and cultivate it. The ragweed is actually a great nurse crop for clover. When it starts to flower - MOW it - if it tries again mow it again.

Don't let it set/drop hard seed.

Ragweed cannot handle any frost - It'll all die off and leave a vibrant clover plot eventually.

FH
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info! It is the strangest thing though because this small plot is in a larger field that has almost no ragweed in it. All summer the ragweed has just took off in this plot. I am not sure if the deer are eating much of it or not because there is so much of it anyway. The deer have certainly been eating the chicory because you have to really look for what is left. Once again thanks for the info.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Spike

Ragweed is a first year successionary invader, meaning anytime you disturb the soil, it will return as long as it remains in the seed source. Its actually a decent deer forage (although not as good as chicory or clover). Mowing it will work, although chemicals are your best bet. I understand that chemical application scares a lot of people, but most herbicides are much more environmentally freindly than pesticides.

The main problem is a that your plot is a mix and are typically hard to treat after established without hurting the broadleafs (chicory). There are a lot of chemicals that you can spray to kill the ragweed that won't hurt the clover (pendimethalin is a preemmergent, imazethapyr & 2-4DBare post emergents) but imazethapyr and 2-4DB is going to kill your chicory.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

i'll second the vote for pendimethalin. it needs to be applied before a rain, if you can't incorporate it. it'll control some grasses too. Prowl.