Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
How far should food plots be apart from each other >

How far should food plots be apart from each other

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How far should food plots be apart from each other

Old 12-29-2002, 04:45 PM

Default How far should food plots be apart from each other

I read that the optimum food plot is two acres. How far should two acre food plots be apart from each other.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How far should food plots be apart from each other

We try to keep ours at least a quarter of a mile apart. Most of our land is timber company land and it isn't easy to get a lot of big plots unless you pay extra for them. We have about 50 plots on about 4000 acres, but there are 6 different parcels in the lease.

Old 12-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on your terrain. If you are planting an open field I would put the plots next to each other making sure that each plot is abutting cover for the deer. This also allows you to keep the deer in one location while providing a mix of food for attraction and a supply of food that is usable over a longer time period.

I believe that the 2 acres is a figure that allows a fair amount of feeding without being worn out too quickly. Many people plant much larger areas. If I had 4 acres to plant, I would plant an acre of 4 different crops to see the deers reaction in your area. They may like clover, rye, buckwheat, oats, or corn, but if those crops are available to them now from neighbouring lands it could be the one that no one grows that brings in the deer.

Dan O.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question, but like everything else, it depends.

If your land area is small, say less than 200 acres, its more important to keep the plots located towards, the center of the property, terrain permitting.

Other than that, I like to keep them about 1/4 mile apart as well. If you are working with a clean slate, seriously consider the Known bedding areas in your plot placement. Position a plot with a funnel area between the plot and the bedding area, that has the prevailing wind in your favor. You will find that in normal circumstances, it pays to hunt off the plot, in a funnel type area.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on the size of the parcel to be planted and the type of soil. 2%-3% of total acerage is kinda the industry standard. You want the plots spaced as even as possible. The big thing is that the plots are not visable from one another. We see deer go from one plot to another that is hid behind some trees. The main thing is that the plots are as secluded as possible and not hunted over.

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42