Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spring Planting.

Old 12-25-2002, 09:25 PM
Spike

Default Spring Planting.

Last fall I planted a 3/4 acre food plot to see how the deer would like it. I did a soil test and used the correct amount of lime and fertilizer and planted winter wheat and Imperial clover. It got about 6" tall and now it is only muddy earth where it was once lush green. I plan on going in this spring and enlarging the plot but what should I plant. I want something that will be good for the deer in the fall and winter. I was thinking Alfa-Rack since it is on a hillside, or should I go to Co-Op and get them to mix me up something like A-R. I gots many questions and ya`ll have helped me so far so I figure I might as well keep asking. Thanks, Chris
Old 12-27-2002, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spring Planting.

Why is the earth muddy in your plot??? What was your soil pH reading? What type of soil did you have? Alfalfa is a better choice for a hillside, unless you have some very heavy soil with a depth over 10 inches... What type of deer population do you have?

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42
Old 12-27-2002, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Chris,
From my few short years of experience it takes lime roughly 6 months to correct the pH. If you limed, fertilized, and planted all at the same time the pH was probably still out of whack. Also, it takes some time to really get a food plot established. Post the answers for the questions Lunchbucket asked. I've learned alot from reading his posts and I'm sure he could help you more than me.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:32 AM
Spike

The earth is muddy because the deer ate everything. The acorns were gone and the winter wheat was 6 inches tall so I guess they ate it all. I saw pleny of turkeys in my plots during bow season also. The clover didn`t have enough chance to come up good. I just want to know what to plant in the spring in Tennessee, that will draw deer from October-January. I`m just still trying to learn, so any shared knowledge is appreciated. ubang2
Old 12-30-2002, 10:09 PM

I think you should go with clover and alf alfa and then when it gets about 6 inches high go threw and mow it down with your tractor mower then it will cut the alf alfa and clover then it will grow thicker and then when it comes to the summer and dry season it will be strong enough to stand up against the heat and dry weather. Plus then if u have clover then if you like to small game hunt then you could go and go for rabbits.

Pete
Old 01-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

I would think that the thing to plant would be self evident... Whatever was planted there that made them eat it to the mud. Just plant a lot more of it...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42