Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need help with QDM equipment

Old 12-29-2002, 04:43 PM

Default Need help with QDM equipment

I am wanting to put a few food plots next year. Some of the places I can get to with a tractor. The others are on the other side of creeks and other in passable obsticles.

I can get across the obsticles with a four wheeler and tow a trailer but the trailer is still questionable. What do you feel is a cheap way of keeping up plots and building plots that are out of the way of a tractor. Let's think cheap here because it may take some beating to get the tools where I need them.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help with QDM equipment

If this is land that you intend on hunting for many years, the best way may not be the cheapest. If you hire a good dozier operator and something like a 650 John Deere you should be able to install 3 nice plots in a day, so for about $500, depending on what needs to be cleared. He can fix you a good road at the same time.
Trying to hand clear a sizeable area is going to be a very difficult task. I had rather have two or three good plots than several small hard to work plots. The areas that are inaccessible I would leave off. If you can't get equipment to them or get to them to hunt why bother.

Old 12-30-2002, 12:21 PM

Timbercruiser,

Dozer and tractor is out of the question. I am leasing the land and the guy doesn't want any roads going into the areas that I am putting plots..also one of the places has about a twenty foot 75 degree wall to cross the creek. There is one place I can cross a fourwheeler but can't get a tractor across.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like a shovel, bushhook and chainsaw may be the options. If legal a feeder may be the best option. If he has timber on a couple of areas you would like to clear, offer to pay for the timber and then use a dozier to clear. It is going to be a big time hand labor job otherwise.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

No good answer here - Food plots of any size require maintainence by mowing, and fertilizer. There are no good "throw the seed down" plots.

I'd consider fertilizing existing browse, clearcutting some if you can. With a new clearcut area, you may be able to get a decent stand of clover/grain for a year or two - with a lot of hard work.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Get a good quality sprayer for the quad. You should be able to spray with Round Up and then use liquid lime and liquid fertilizer, organic we suggest. You should have no problems doing 2-3 acres...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42