Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Equipment

Old 04-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Equipment

I found some new stuff that i liked this year. One item is very thin, but strong and light, nylon mesh material that is in a Mossy Oak pattern. It also has " U" shaped cuts it it to give it a more 3D effect. I had a 5.5ft. by 6ft. piece that I draped over my knees and feet while sitting under a tree to hunt. With the bottom edges flared out, I think it really helps break up my outline. You can wad it up into a softball sized ball, and it won' t reflect UV rays. I got it at WalMart in a 5.5 ft by 12 ft piece, then cut it in half. I think this will be handy in deer season too. It' s kind of pricey, but it' s way better that burlap, which is heavy.

I also found a nice decoy carrying bag with backstraps. It has a quick-release drawstring to close it. I put decoys, my seat cushion, and the camo netting in it.
It will hold a lot, and is very light. I got it at Bass-Pro. It' s a lot faster for me, and more comfortable, than carrying everything in my vest. Also, I lost a decoy out of my vest last year along the trail somewhere.

I always carry 4 or 5 calls, but there are only two I really use.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Equipment

Check out the Midwest catalog, they carry decoy bags in there by AW. This is what I have been using for the last few years now myself, great shoulder bag, and it has a place for the decoy stakes as well. Another option.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Equipment

I use a regular sized camo backpack to carry my decoys. It works really well and has other compartments for me to carry things like binoculars, extra stakes, flashlight, first aid kit, rope, insect repellant and other items. It also allows me to hook to it a 27" blind made by H.S. Strut that I can place around me when I am sitting on the ground. I try to travel light and quick because I never know when I might have to reposition myself to gain an advantage-if that' s possible while turkey hunting.