Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Surrounding land

Old 12-31-2002, 09:40 AM

Default Surrounding land

Me and my buddy would like to make a little 1 acre food plot. The surrounding land is mostly thick woods and well farmed fields. What would be best to plant in it. It is located on a hill top with shaly soil That drains rapidly. We also want to build a little blind about 10 to 15 feet up would a good location be good to put it in one of the corner of the fields or to put it just on the edge of the field or does it matter where the wind is blowing.

Pete
Old 12-31-2002, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Surrounding land

We always put our stands on the east or southeast side of our plots. The dominant wind in south Alabama is a west or north wind so it is just right for us. We have had the best luck with our fall plots baing planted in a mixture of wheat, rye and oats.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

In your situation, I'd plant a cereal grain like Rye. Rye has a large root system, that will absorb water before it can drain away. Rye also is an excellent plot to hunt over, as it is high in carbohydrates, and a prime food source in the fall. You will have to plant every year though. Certain winter wheats, and Oats could be good as well, I just do not have experience with them.

I'd also consider hunting the funnels & staging areas off the feild 50-100 yds. STand placement should allow for deer to travel by within range, WITHOUT winding you once they pass your position. Deer will VERY quickly turn off, to a small plot once they know they are being hunted on it.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Do soil samples first...

Romans 10:9 Psalms 42