Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Texas food plot

Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Texas food plot

We're doing a lot of work on our food plots this year. For those of you in the south, what are yall planting and what kind of success have you had? We are in south texas so the soil is a little sandy and drains well, so I was thinking about some Tecomate Alfa-Feast (alfalfa and chicory)and maybe Monster Mix too.Also, anyone ever used the Plotsaver to keep deer from early grazing your plots? It sounded like bs to me! Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Texas food plot

Lab lab works good here in Texas and we also plant iron clay peas. I will put out several scare crows in the plots untill they reach the desired hieght. It sounds simple and when I pull them out the deer are there the next day.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
tf
Spike

I hunt in east tex. in a very sandy/loam type soil. planted iron/clay peas (cowpeas) along with fert. & lime. They are doing great, and the deer are hitting them good, at all times of the day and night. I have found out through trial/error, that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have really good plots!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:30 PM

spoketo lee wheeler yesterday who is a big scientific breeder in texas and he recommended planting oats and something else that started with a t...can't remember...he says its alot cheaper (which itis)and provides more protein than most other offerings. we'll have to see.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Starts with a "t"?

The only thing I can think of offright nowstarts with a "t" istriticale.